Bailey to serve as interim head of global initiatives

Anthony Bailey has been named to the position of interim vice provost for global initiatives and will begin his work in the post     Aug. 1.

Bailey, who currently serves as the associate provost for global initiatives, replaces Kenneth McGillivray in this new position.

In a memo to USC faculty and staff, Provost Elizabeth Garrett praised many of Bailey’s successes in USC’s international offices.

“Dr. Bailey has overseen USC’s seven international offices and he has guided our South American strategy, including the planning of an international office in Brazil, which will open in the coming year,” Garrett said. “He has also played a leading role in organizing the 2013 USC Global Conference in Seoul, South Korea.”

Bailey said his primary goal as interim vice provost for global initiatives is to continue strengthening USC’s worldwide image.

“We’d all love for USC, in a few years, to be one of the most respected and sought-after institutions in Latin America, Europe and the Middle East,” Bailey said. “The plan for my office is to continue working with key groups on campus to execute on high-profile and engaging events overseas, such as the upcoming Global Conversation this October in London.”

In addition, Bailey said another priority is collaboration with universities, governments and industry.

Bailey said he is prepared for his new post because of his experiences in international development at Kaplan Inc., an exam preparation company, and his more recent work as the associate provost in the office of global initiatives.

“At Kaplan Inc., I built up a chain of 44 international colleges spanning three continents, which was instrumental in establishing the Kaplan brand across the globe,” Bailey said. “During the past couple years as associate provost in the Office of Global Initiatives, I’ve built a base of knowledge about many of the things that make USC a unique and special place.”

Matthew Erskine, who currently serves as director of international programs at the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, will fill Bailey’s current position as associate vice provost for global affairs.