SCA joins partnership with Beijing

The School of Cinematic Arts announced this week that it will collaborate with the Beijing Film Academy to establish a joint program set to begin this June.

The China-U.S. International Master Classes and Industry Summits in Cinematic Arts aims to foster cultural and industrial exchanges between American and Chinese film industries, according to a statement made by Naga Film, one of the projects’ main backers.

Alan Baker, an associate dean of administration and international projects at the School of Cinematic Arts, said the collaboration promises to bring the two nations’ film industries together professionally and educationally.

“The objective is to really develop a much closer relationship with the Chinese film industry,” Baker said. “Not only with the professional part but with the educational aspect of the cinematic arts in China as well.”

School of Cinematic Arts Dean Elizabeth Daley will join Chinese filmmakers John Woo and Peter Pau at the Beijing Film Market  on Monday for a panel discussion about the collaboration.

According to a statement made by Naga Film, the company hopes this collaborative effort will “open doors for the global industry network to grow within China.”

Baker said the collaboration promises to provide a forum to exchange ideas across nations.

“I think there’s an enthusiasm about a greater exchange of ideas,” Baker said. “We have a lot of Chinese students enrolled in the film school, so it’s kind of a natural synergy or evolution of our relationship.”