Gould launches a new fundraising initiative

The Gould School of Law kicked off its new fundraising initiative with a gala at the Vibiana in Downtown Los Angeles on Thursday night. More than 200 USC faculty members, administrators, student leaders and alumni attended the event.

The initiative’s goal of $150 million is part of the Campaign for the University of Southern California, an effort by the university to raise $6 billion in private funding by 2018.

The funds will not only be used to provide scholarships to students and improve Gould’s facilities, but also to attract new faculty to the school.

“Faculty depend on the support of our alumni and supporters for endowed chairs, endowed professorships, for research funds,” said Elizabeth Garrett, provost and senior vice president of Academic Affairs.

Kenneth Doran, chair of the Gould Board of Councilors, emphasized the need for constant improvement in order for Gould to maintain its standing as a leader in legal education.

“We need the best facilities, the best students and the best faculty in order to not only maintain what we have, which is truly special, but to become an even better university, an even better law school for the future,” Doran said.

The initiative relies on graduates giving back to their alma mater.

Jackie Lacey, Los Angeles County district  attorney and a Gould alumna, noted her appreciation for the Trojan family in her keynote speech.

“My experience at Gould was         life-altering and has been the foundation for my career and for the life I have now,” she said.

Lauren Delilly, a third-year law student at Gould, was proud that alumni were interested in her goals.

“Having somebody invest in my future means that there’s people who recognize the quality of the education here at USC … that [Gould students] are worth investing in,” Delilly said.