Affordable egg recipes liven up boring dorm food

Eggs are the chameleons of the culinary world. Endlessly versatile, they appear in sweet and savory dishes as main ingredients or garnishes. Their bright yellow yolks can be served runny, unctuous and oozing, or hard-boiled, thinly sliced and sprinkled with flaky salt. For college students, eggs can bind a handful of random ingredients into a cohesive dinner. An added bonus, they provide instant protein without the hassle of handling raw meat.

Yummy in my tummy! · The fast frittata for one is a perfect way to make any brunch more exciting without having to get fancy. Not only is it delicious, but it  has everything  necessary for a balanced meal.  -  Maral Tavitian| Daily Trojan

Yummy in my tummy! · The fast frittata for one is a perfect way to make any brunch more exciting without having to get fancy. Not only is it delicious, but it has everything necessary for a balanced meal. – Maral Tavitian| Daily Trojan

When you are short on time, eggs allow you to create an inspired meal effortlessly. I have compiled three of my favorite egg recipes to show you just how many forms this humble ingredient can take on. Use these ideas as an introduction to complementary flavors and textures, then begin experimenting with combinations of your own.

Thin Omelette Wrap 

On weekday mornings, I keep my breakfast routine simple and healthy to start the day off right. This omelette wrap is my lightened-up version of a breakfast burrito. It takes approximately five minutes to prepare and can be packaged in foil for eating on-the-go. You want to use a creamy and spreadable cheese; I like the subtle tang of goat, but ricotta, softened feta or even cream cheese would be lovely substitutes. Make sure that the pan is not too hot when you pour in the egg mixture, since the eggs cook swiftly and spread out like a crêpe. If you are in the mood for something a bit more substantial, stuff the tortilla with vegetables, canned beans, or even smoked salmon.

Ingredients:

• 2 large eggs

• 1 tablespoon milk or cream

• Salt and pepper to taste

• 1 whole-wheat tortilla

• 2 tablespoons goat cheese, at room temperature

• Handful salad greens

• Olive oil cooking spray

Total: 5 min

1.Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl with a fork. Beat well, until the eggs are mostly uniform in color——-—they spread around the pan more evenly when there aren’t large patches of yolk and white. Spread goat cheese evenly over the tortilla; set aside.

2.Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour in the egg mixture and give it a good swirl so that it spreads out evenly across the entire pan. Cook the eggs until they are just set but still moist—30 to 45 seconds, depending on the heat of your pan. Place the tortilla, cheese-side down, over the eggs. Gently press down on the tortilla so it sticks to the eggs. Flip the wrap over and cook for an additional 30 seconds, just to warm the tortilla. Slide the tortilla onto a plate and top the eggs with a handful of greens. Roll into a wrap and serve.

Fast Frittata for One 

Since traditional frittata recipes require a fair amount of ingredients and prep time, people often reserve them for leisurely weekend brunches. My petite, personalized frittata delivers the flavor and fluffy texture of its more substantial counterpart, minus the hassle of preheating the oven. Simply sauté a few vegetables, add them to the egg mixture and cook until the eggs are just set.

For this loosely Mediterranean version, I tossed together thinly sliced mushrooms, kale, chickpeas and creamy crumbled feta. The chickpeas and kale crisp up beautifully, adding a bit of heft to an already protein-packed breakfast. Treat the recipe as a basic framework, then make adjustments using whatever ingredients suit your fancy.

Ingredients:

• 2 large eggs

• 1 tablespoon cream

• Salt and pepper to taste

• ¼ cup sliced white mushrooms

• ¼ cup cooked chickpeas

• ¼ cup kale, sliced in thin strands

• 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese

• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided

Active: 5 min; total 15 min

1.Beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a medium bowl with a fork. Warm one tablespoon of olive oil in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and chickpeas, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add kale and sauté just until softened, about 15 seconds.

2.Add the vegetables and feta to the egg mixture. Reduce the heat to low and coat the pan with the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook until the edges of the frittata have set. Cover the pan with a plate and cook until the center of the frittata is set but still moist, about 2 minutes. Serve.

Brown Rice Bowl with Avocado and Over-Easy Eggs

The Asian-inspired combination of hearty brown rice, thinly sliced avocados, and a luxurious, perfectly fried egg is a go-to weeknight dinner. I make a big batch of rice on Sunday, then store it in the refrigerator for easy access throughout the week. While frying eggs appears simple in theory, I have gathered a couple tips to help you master this essential technique. Make sure the oil is super hot before you pour in the eggs; doing so is the key to an ethereally-crisp white. To provide insurance against punctured yolks, crack the eggs in a separate bowl then individually coax them into the pan.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup cooked brown rice

• ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar

• 1 scallion, thinly sliced

• 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted

• 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided

• 2 large eggs

• ½ of an avocado, thinly sliced

• Salt and pepper to taste

• Sriracha, for serving (optional)

Total: 10 min

1.In a serving bowl, mix together the rice, vinegar, scallions, sesame seeds and 1 teaspoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Wait one minute until the oil gets very warm.

2.Crack the eggs into a small bowl then slide them individually into the pan; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the whites are set around the edges, about 1-2 minutes. Carefully flip eggs and cook for an additional 45 seconds. Transfer the eggs and avocado to the rice and serve.