New networking app launched for alumni

The Alumni Association has created an app in addition to the online “Fight Online” networking program to enhance networking for USC alumni. The app was updated in September and is now available for download.

Originally, the Fight Online program allowed alumni to connect with other alumni, but it was only available online. Now, the mobile app will allow alumni to connect to it on a real-time, real-location basis. The new app portion will require alumni to sign up for it before being able to use it.

Denise Lopez, senior director of alumni relations for the Alumni Association, described new features that are only available on the app.

“The mobile app runs in a different way where you can go online and see other Trojans that are in the area,” Lopez said. “It geo-locates other alumni in the area to see if you can connect with Trojans nearby.”

The app was created by the same company that developed the Game Day app for USC Athletics to allow for a streamlined process and line of apps for all of the Trojan Family.

The app also allows includes special perks for alumni.

“You can also search for Trojan businesses, and it will show you all the businesses so you can frequent USC businesses or you can go to the real estate section to see the list of Trojans that are real estate agents,” Lopez said. “Many businesses and Trojans opt in to have special offers for other Trojans only.”

These perks would be available only for those using the mobile app.

The Alumni Association hopes to have more members download the app during homecoming weekend. Lopez said that as of now, there are almost 3,000 alumni signed up with the networking program and the number is increasing.

There have been several initiatives to increase awareness and membership for the new app. Lopez said the university has sent emails to registered alumni, placed posters to entrances around campus, run advertisements in Trojan Family magazine and given presentations about the app to large audiences.

According to Lopez, the app will change the way alumni can network.

“Before you would have no idea to know if you were sitting next to a Trojan on a bus,” Lopez said.