Pop-up eatery shines near campus

Describing itself on its Facebook page as “an urban epicurean experiment and incredibly fun pop-up,” Living Breathing Kitchen in Downtown Los Angeles is certainly somewhat of a hidden gem. This pop-up restaurant prides itself on its of-the-moment brunch menu which changes on a weekly basis. Boasting a trendy setting and bottomless mimosas for $12, this is definitely the college student’s dream.

Admittedly, the restaurant was almost impossible to find. With no official website, certain directory websites have incorrect addresses listed. The Facebook page lists all the key information, and this writer eventually found the restaurant at 707 Grand Ave. Placed opposite Bottega Louie, the dining spot is certainly in the heart of Downtown LA’s culinary center.

Housed in the Coco Laurent Building, Living Breathing Kitchen boasts high ceilings and a grand entrance. Upon entering, however, it is clear that this is no longer a lavish French restaurant, but rather a stylish and laid-back brunch spot with colorful chalkboard lists of the specials. Diners can choose to sit on low black armchairs around small, round tables or in more classical dining chairs. An old-Hollywood, 1920s-style bar is the obvious center of the restaurant, with high, plush bar stools facing a wall at least five or six meters long, adorned with colorful bottles. Despite the extensive selection of alcoholic beverages, the only hot drinks are black coffee and tea, something that seemed slightly out of place for an establishment that prides itself on its brunch menu.

The space is cavernous with floor to ceiling windows and, despite being empty when we arrived, had two or three full tables by the time we left. With the wide French doors open on a very rainy day, it was undeniably cold when sitting and eating, but in the usual California sunshine this shouldn’t be much of an issue. The music was slightly obtrusive — a deep pounding bass-focused sound that is standard fare as backing music in many eateries — but the volume was far too high for it to truly be called background music, and was definitely somewhat intrusive on the experience.

The service was excellent. Casual, friendly and attentive waitresses were eager to offer guidance on the menu and assist in every way possible without ever being overbearing. Despite the difficulty in finding the location, the slightly drafty seating and a long wait for our order to arrive, the food was undeniably fantastic. The chocolate chip pancakes were deliciously sweet, and the maple syrup was mild and did not mask the other flavors. All the tastes were pleasant, gentle and not overpowering. The bacon was perfectly crisped and salted, complementing the pancakes. The Tres Leches French Toast was equally delicious and certainly unique. Served with seasonal fruit, tres leches sauce (a sweet, milky sauce popular in South America), caramel and candied toasted almonds, this dish is a delight for anyone with a sweet tooth. The light consistency of the bread prevented it from being sickly and added a slightly savory flavor to the mixture of sweet ones.

The food is also beautifully presented, with the French toast laid out like a fan with the berries and almonds artfully placed around and underneath. Many of the dishes look like works of art themselves, the kind you might find in restaurant located in the penthouse of a fancy hotel.

Other dishes offered include several exotic variants on eggs Benedict, traditional full English breakfast options, vegan biscuits with gravy and a popular rabbit hash. These many selections lead to a unique and diverse dining experience.

For such a trendy restaurant in a chic area, one might expect prices to be sky high. However, this was far from true in the case of Living Breathing Kitchen. As previously stated, bottomless mimosas were priced at just $12. In addition, all the pancake options came to $10 (or $8 without chocolate or fruit), the French toast came to $12 and sides averaged around $3. While not quite fast-food cheap, this is certainly cheap in comparison to many other high-class brunch restaurants, and especially its pricey neighbor Bottega Louie. The proximity to the University Park Campus is a bonus; this might not be a restaurant that one would be willing to travel across the city to frequent, but the fact that it’s only about a 10 to 15 minute drive away definitely makes it worth a visit.

The Living Breathing Kitchen will only be located in its downtown home of the Coco Laurent Building for 60 days, from its opening on Jan. 2. While it’s here, it’s definitely worth a trip for a meal that is both delicious and easy on the wallet.