Monica Vavic honored with MPSF player of the week award

With expectations set high, USC women’s water polo star Monica Vavic is already off to a hot start in her final season with the program.

The senior was named the MPSF Player of the Week for the fourth time in her career on Tuesday, following her stellar play in the pool this past week.

The 5’8’’ driver out of Rancho Palos Verdes, California, netted a career-high eight goals in USC’s blowout 33-5 victory over Cal State Bakersfield on Jan. 17 at the UCLA Invitational.

The eight goals are the most goals scored by an MPSF player since 2007 and most by a USC player in more than a decade when Aniko Pelle accomplished the same feat.

She then followed that personal record-setting performance with six goals in the Women of Troy’s 24-3 win over Cal Baptist. With her 14 total goals to kick of the year, Vavic moved up to No. 6 all-time in career goals with 205 during her time with the program.

Her brother, Nikola, currently holds the all-time goal scoring record for the USC men’s water polo program with 254 career goals.

Vavic not only scored goals this past weekend,  but also served as a facilitator, dishing out eight assists in the two wins. She added to her standout performance on the offensive side of the ball by posting seven steals on defense in only five periods of play.

With that, Vavic’s team is currently undefeated at 2-0 as they move on to play in a variety of tournaments and matches throughout California, Hawaii and Arizona during the spring season.

After starting the season on a high note, one can find Vavic and her fellow Women of Troy teammates in the water starting again next month, Feb. 7-8, when the team travels to La Jolla, California, to participate in the Triton Invitational.