Awards bring exciting red carpet fashions

Awards season is a defining moment in fashion for celebrities. In the past, some of the most infamous, beautiful and groundbreaking styles have been revealed on the red carpets across Hollywood. This season continued to impress and shock as all kinds of crazy, new, gorgeous looks hit the red carpet.

One of the first award shows was the Golden Globes, exhibiting all the major stars and their shocking fashion choices. Jennifer Lopez, a person of fashion interest at almost every award show, dressed to impress in a gorgeous plunging neckline gown, showing off her beautiful body. Kate Hudson was also seen sporting a number with a plunging neckline and side cutouts, made complete by her sunny blonde grace.

The Old-Hollywood look was also popular at the Golden Globes, as the new “Mrs. Clooney,” Amal Alamuddin, strutted in a regal, classic black and white gown.

There were also some fashion risks at the Globes, including Lupita Nyong’o who dazzled in a floral inspired Giambattista Valli gown. Emma Stone went the comfortable and fashionable route with her classy pantsuit that only she could pull off with effortless grace.

Though many stars shone and sparkled, a few seemed to take risks that didn’t stun and inspire as many as they might have wanted to. Alan Cumming wore a flesh-toned Calvin Klein suit that didn’t exactly flatter his suave demeanor in The Good Wife. Pairing the nude suit with colorful sneakers enhanced the amateur fashion of this great actor. It seemed there was a lack of fashion inspiration for the men at the Golden Globes, as Kevin Hart was overshadowed by his dated-looking white piped suit.

Women were not exempt; some leading ladies didn’t bring their fashion A-game, either. Host Tina Fey, wonderful woman that she is, donned a doily-looking dress that didn’t enhance her beautiful figure. Kristen Wiig wore a too-loose draped gown that swallowed her thin frame and created a drab look on the comedic genius.

The Screen Actors Guild Awards was also a place of fashion inspiration. On Sunday, Jan. 25, stars from Keira Knightley to Julianne Moore waltzed across the red carpet in couture creations.

Natalie Dormer from Game of Thrones donned a feminine floral gown that made her angelic features look positively luminescent. Saucy Sophia Vergara was stunning as always in a silky and slinky red gown, highlighting her curvaceous body.

The sparkle was on as stars like Emmy Rossum donned glitter galore. Laverne Cox sported her glitz in a Cleopatra-inspired pink satin gown, proving she can be not only an emotional inspiration, but also a fashion icon. Sarah Hyland glowed in a jeweled Vera Wang gown, transforming her youthful persona into an elegant and beautiful woman.

Some fashion flops at the SAG Awards included usual fashion star Lupita Nyong’o. Though elegant and lithe, the dress she chose for the night drowned her tiny body in its over-indulgent use of fabrics and patterns. Lorelei Linklater’s gown screamed “maid-meets-choir dress,” and Rashida Jones chose a not-too-mature style complete with awkward color blocking and pattern arrangement. These faux pas show that, despite how talented some of these actors might be, their fashion senses are not always award-worthy.

The Grammys this year brought some of the most stunning fashions yet. Musical guests from every genre brought out their most awe-inspiring fashions to match up to their award-winning songs and albums.

Despite the controversy surrounding Ariana Grande recently, the star made an appearance and stunned at the Grammys in a white and silver Versace gown that showed off her tiny frame. Miley Cyrus is known for her outrageous style, but dressed to impress this year. She rocked a black slim-fitting gown with cutouts, showing a tasteful amount of skin. Along with her classy makeup and styled hair, Miley was a strong contender for best-dressed at the Grammys.

Accompanying her rap-star husband, Kim Kardashian West looked like a Greek goddess in a shimmery gold gown. Showing off her bronzed skin, Kim looked chic and mature as she walked hand-in-hand with Kanye.

Some singers just couldn’t rock the red carpet at the Grammys. Barbadian pop queen Rihanna looked like a frilly cupcake in an over-the-top, a la Lady Gaga pink dress that was completely out-of-character for the edgy star. Madonna, as usual, was also a little too trashy rather than classy as the older singer walked down the runway in a lacy pink and black outfit.

No matter which award show, 2015 has proved to be a year of fashion inspiration and improvement. Coming up at the end of February, the Oscars will continue to present some of the most interesting fashion choices from the most famous celebrities.