At USC, get rid of Yik Yak completely

Has Yik Yak ever done anything good for anybody? I ask that question with no sense of sarcasm: I cannot think of a single app with as much downside as Yik Yak, an app that allows users to post anonymous, 200-character messages to a platform accessible to anyone within a mile-and-a-half radius. Not only does the app encourage people to express themselves without any responsibility, it gives anyone from cyber bullies to blatant racists a widely read platform to speak with total anonymity. Universities across the nation should do everything in their power to keep it from infecting their campuses. Case in point: the latest controversy at USC.

In a Huffington Post blog, a USC freshman unleashed a slew of inflammatory accusations directed at Rini Sampath and Jordan Fowler, the newly elected Undergraduate Student Government president and vice president. The article, which reads more like a recap of The Real Housewives of Orange County, labeled the pair’s administration a “full-fledge nepotism scandal,” accused them of “vote buying” and referenced an “upswell of students who want the two impeached.” But when you take off the emperor’s clothes, it seems a bunch of Yik Yak posts over the weekend are the basis for every claim the blog makes (it contains no on-the-record statements or sources). Though the piece bordered on libel, it did have one good point: Despite so many student critics on Yik Yak, why was only one person at the “Meet the Candidates” event held before the election?

In a Facebook post, USG justifiably condemned the nonsense, but they lacked a proposal to move that conversation forward. Here’s one: The USG Senate should pass a resolution that requests the university take steps to end Yik Yak’s presence on campus.

Before you start on me for censoring free speech, consider that even Yik Yak knows that some people don’t deserve its service. After it spread to middle and high schools and brought with it rampant harassment and threats of school shootings, founders Tyler Droll and Brooks Buffington constructed virtual “geo-fences” around 90 percent of the nation’s primary and secondary schools to prevent the app’s usage. The USC incident proves that this distinction might be arbitrary; 15 minutes on the USC Yik Yak feed will leave any reasonable person convinced that the maturity level of some folks at USC hasn’t evolved since the ninth grade.

Racism, bullying and public humiliation are intolerable in any civil society, and Yik Yak makes it easier for people to spread that vitriol with zero responsibility for it. The New York Times said, “[Yik Yak] has been used to issue threats of mass violence on more than a dozen college campuses, including the University of North Carolina, Michigan State University and Penn State. Racist, homophobic and misogynist “yaks” have generated controversy at many more, among them Clemson, Emory, Colgate and the University of Texas. At Kenyon College, a “yakker” proposed a gang rape at the school’s women’s center.”

It’s only a matter of time before USC gets added to that list. Oops! We already have. When black students at USC expressed support for constructing their own cultural house, similar to ones for other student organizations, one yak from USC — “Why would they open a prison on the Row?” — was printed in the Los Angeles Times. It reflected poorly on every USC student, but because of Yik Yak’s privacy policy, the writer will never be held accountable. The app, on the other hand, should be.

Such a proposal has limitations. People can still use the app if they are far enough from campus, and they will surely find other anonymous forums to spew their hatred. But USC, and any other university concerned with being a welcoming environment for a diverse student population, needs to send the message that this stuff is intolerable. It’s the beginning of what has to be a long and difficult conversation about campus culture, one which many USC students will tell you they don’t feel welcome in.

Yik Yak represents the worst reaction of our generation to social media: Instead of understanding that everything put online is public, along with our names, we’ve invented things that allow us to say things irresponsibly. Promoting this “no accountability” culture is the beginning of a violently divided society. If Yik Yak has done something good for you, I’d love to hear it. But my suspicion is, the folks who rant on Yik Yak run with the same crowd that criticizes their student leaders but won’t show up to meet them before the election. In that case, they might only notice that someone is trying to take Yik Yak away when the app disappears. By distracting its most ardent supporters from efforts to wipe it from existence, the app will have done something good for everybody.

Nathaniel Haas is a junior majoring in political science and economics. His column, “State of the Union,” runs Fridays. 

1. Alex Bell
    Alex Bell says:

how about insteadof upvoting the racist comment or yak,why dont yall downvote and block all yaks from the immature person? its fucking common sence people. think a bit

2. Sarah
    Sarah says:

Of course some of the comments on Yik Yak are immature. You do have to use some of your judgement to weed out the inane comments, but yes, Yik Yak has done some good. It is the first place where I heard about Zooey Deschanel in the bookstore, the FedEx truck hitting a biker on the row, another booty bandit strike, and that naked pledge running around in Leavey. Yik Yak can be used to disseminate information, draw attention to issues or events, or just to check the pulse of the student body. If USG actually thought about utilizing this app in a productive way instead of just trying to oust it, and pissing off a lot of the students in the process, we maybe could get somewhere.

3. Tammy Trojan
    Tammy Trojan says:

Banning Yik Yak doesn’t do change the fact that our student body has a bunch of racist, sexist dillweeds. If anything, Yik Yak revealed it. Try fixing the attitudes and teaching students how to be decent human beings, rather than just hiding the behavior.

4. User
    User says:

I am not a fan of Yik Yak, as I don’t see it as a stimulating environment or one appropriate for adults in a university. It is highly immature, filled with racist comments, and a completely ridiculous social media platform our society has come to embrace. Nevertheless, as much as I would like for it to disappear, it can’t and it shouldn’t. For those who like it, let them continue using it and wasting their time. And for those who don’t like it, distance yourself and get over it. Though it is hard to see how stupid people are becoming.

• Alex Bell
      Alex Bell says:

u can mute all posts from the racist user. if everyone mutes the immature persons yaks, then he will not be yakking to anyone but himself

5. gwood3469
    gwood3469 says:

To answer the question you started this article with: yes, Yik Yak has done good. I am sure I am not the only that reads yaks for pure comic value. Yaks that are racist, misogynist, or bullying are almost always either removed by being flagged or voted off. There is no excuse for inflammatory language of this sort on any platform, but straight up removing the app from USC is a lazy solution. By your argument, Facebook, Twitter, and just about every social media platform should be banned from campus use. All of the the things you take issue with on Yik Yak happen on every other platform. Yes Yik Yak is different because of the anonymity, but put some thought into a real solution instead of just taking the expedient nuclear option just to get clicks on your article. But I wouldn’t expect too much based on your body of work. You default to highly bombastic and largely overblown solutions and language regardless of the topic. I just wish you would put more thought and effort into representing left leaning positions in the USC community. Every right leaning person I know would point to some of your articles as simply left wing media bias and dismiss the views without a further thought. Please, put more thought and effort into your writing.