LGBTQ minor introduced in Dornsife

On Wednesday, the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences gender studies program announced the introduction of the LGBTQ studies minor for undergraduates beginning in fall 2015.

The process of creating the minor started with Rev. Kelby Harrison, director of the USC LGBT Resource Center, who approached the gender studies department with the suggestion of creating a minor for students interested in the topic.

The 20-unit minor consists of one lower-division course, one upper-division course and three upper-division electives. The upper-division required course, SWMS 306: Introduction to LGBTQ Studies, was created specifically for the minor. In addition to the minor requirement, SWMS 212: Studies in Gender and Sexuality: An Introduction, also fulfills a general education requirement.

Jeanne Weiss, student services advisor for the gender studies program, said that she hopes the new major will reach a broader demographic.

“We hope to reach students throughout the university and provide a minor that would benefit them,” said Weiss.

Weiss also discussed the uniqueness of the minor in relation to other areas of study already offered through Dornsife.

“The gender studies minor focuses mostly on feminist issues, while the LGBTQ minor focuses on queer studies, giving students a good opportunity to formalize their studies in this area,” said Weiss.

Jorge Molina, a junior majoring in writing for film and television and co-director of Queer Cut, an LGBTQ student organization at the School of Cinematic Arts, spoke about how the newly introduced minor will promote an improved sense of equality on campus.

“I think it’s great that the university is recognizing that LGBT issues are as important of being studied as any other major cultural group,” Molina said. “This will hopefully start a conversation among students and staff and the entire Trojan community about the importance of recognition and integration.”

The LGBTQ studies minor is open to students of all majors. Those interested in learning more about the minor can contact Weiss.