Allegations against Hillary Clinton will not affect campaign

Two weeks after her announcement to run for president in 2016, Hillary Clinton has found herself embroiled in yet another controversy. This time, rather than examining the email habits of the former secretary of state, it concerns the Clinton Foundation and the allocation of received donations. According to a forthcoming book by Stanford professor Peter Schweizer, the Clinton family might have given governmental favors to benefactors of the foundation. Schweizer also addressed the Clinton’s lucrative name and funds generated from questionable means.

Though the book, titled Clinton Cash: The Untold Story of How and Why Foreign Governments and Business Helped Make Bill and Hillary Rich has been deemed by The New York Times as “the most anticipated and feared book of a presidential cycle still in its infancy,” the quid pro quo allegations will not faze the campaign. Rather, it gives Clinton a chance to change her narrative and become more relatable to the public.

It is imperative to first note Schweizer’s background, which reveals his bias against Clinton. Schweizer’s past jobs include a position on former President George W. Bush’s speech-writing team. He has attacked liberals in general in his books, calling them the “Architects of Ruin.” Currently, Schweizer is a senior editor-at-large at Breitbart News, a conservative outlet. Obviously, Schweizer holds views opposite to those of Clinton, so his adversarial accounts are made to fulfill his own political wishes. Even if his claims are based upon true accounts, it doesn’t change the fact that Schweizer’s stance is firmly rooted in conservative politics. Political attacks are inevitable, and Schweizer’s crusade is just one of the many battles Clinton will effortlessly endure.

Of any antagonistic movements that are thrown her way, Clinton said, “It is, I think, worth nothing that the Republicans seem to only be talking about me. I don’t know what they would talk about if I wasn’t in the race. But I am in the race and hopefully we will get onto the issues and I look forward to that.” Indeed, it seems that Clinton is fully prepared to thwart all claims by detractors like Schweizer. As her team has pointed out, Schweizer’s findings are not revolutionary, as two books from 2007 have also reported the same revelations. The Republican Party will not get ahead by bashing Clinton on these sensational claims.

Schweizer’s investigations point out one relevant thing — Clinton is not the average, blue-collar American. The Clintons have raked in $136.5 million from 2001 to 2012, with a large sum of money generated from former President Bill Clinton’s foreign addresses. Going forward, Clinton must change her story to appeal more to the Americans without that kind of money.

Ultimately, this incident will not encourage constituents to turn away from Clinton in the upcoming election. Allegations that the Clintons’ foundation has directed donations toward other agendas is already old news and not unique to just the Clinton’s campaign. Additionally, Schweizer, probed by his personal biases, cannot fully discredit Clinton who has successfully overseen the United States as a first lady, senator and secretary of state.

America is ready for Hillary, and people like Peter Schweizer are not going to stop her.

Danni Wang is a sophomore majoring in psychology. She is also the editorial director of the Daily Trojan. “Point/Counterpoint” ran Tuesdays.

1. John Stenicka
    John Stenicka says:

ethics simply does not mean anything in this day and age…the Clintons are all about the Clintons. The country cannot afford another run by them. Benghazi happened while Hillary was Sec of State and the ambassador was left to die despite requests for more security…the spin eventually will stop at the right door step and would happen sooner if the media would simply do their job, report the news not try to be the news.

2. Jj Griffiths
    Jj Griffiths says:

will the campaign survive? yes, i agree with you. but don’t you care AT ALL about this issue or do you think its okay for a non-profit charity that only donates 10% to charity to receive money for favors from foreign governments? do you care that Hillary destroyed emails from God only knows that probably related to the foundation? well, you SHOULD. those emails were YOURS, MINE, and every other American’s and she destroyed them. using a position of power to raise money for yourself and to garner favor for foreign mystery people…you’re fine with that? or do you just not want to talk about that – since this country is ready for her? i believe in an America of laws – and many have been broken – but i guess its okay with you, and you’re ready for that.

3. Thekatman
    Thekatman says:

Again, voting for an individual based on the color of their skin or sex, for one without qualifications is destructive to the future of our country. She will likely be the Dem ominee, however, if folks would do a 5 minute Google search on the a Clintons they’ll discover that they are about as ethical as a mobster.

4. Liberty Minded
    Liberty Minded says:

You are correct, a single reporter is not going to stop anyone. However, the public can. Looking at HRC. Is this the person that deserves and will execute faithfully the office of the presidency? I venture to say that Chelsea is just as qualified and ready as Hillary for the office of the presidency. Moreover, I would say that Chelsea has fewer public disappointments and ethical challenges.