Your quick guide to a successful school year

Doheny

Welcome back USC Trojans! It’s the start of a new school year. Some of us may be freshmen who are still in awe of our beautiful campus or a senior, like me, who is trying to pretend that you will not be entering the real world in just 8 months. Lucky for you, I have tips to start the school year off right.

Now that the stressful first week is over, you can be more prepared for class this week. No more searching for your classrooms or seeing a sea full of sorority girls crowded in Campus Center.

• Fuel Up: Start your morning with drinks that give you energy to get you through the day. There is a Starbucks at Trojan Grounds and one just off campus underneath Icon apartment complex. As well as two Coffee Beans, one located at Campus Center and another one at the Film school. If you are not a coffee drinker, you can find your energy drink at Seeds or juices at Nekter, which is located at the School of Architecture. I would highly suggest ordering your drinks by using the Tapingo App. Instead of waiting in line, you can order on your phone and go to the front of the line to pick it up. This will energize you and make your day more enjoyable!
  • Get to Know Your Teachers: Here at USC, we have some pretty cool professors. If you take time out of your day to talk with them after class or in office hours you will soon learn that they can help you get the most out of your class. The teachers at USC are amazing professors and most of them are always willing to help you.
  • Exercise: The best way to combat stress is to exercise! Also, you get to wear those Lululemons we all love. You can still add a class to your schedule this week and I would suggest adding a Physical Education class! You can take swimming, tennis, golf or other sports. If your schedule is full, then you can go to the Lyon Center on campus! There are exercise equipment available and fitness classes, such as Zumba and yoga.
  • Talk to Your Classmates: USC has such a diverse student body that you are guaranteed to meet some pretty amazing people. And who knows–your future boyfriend, girlfriend or best friend could be sitting in your same lecture class so don’t be shy.
  • Set Goals for the School Year: It is important that you have a plan for what you want to accomplish this year. Write a list of goals you want to complete. Studies show that by writing goals, you are more likely to achieve them! You can list your goals in order of importance. Whether it is making more friends, stop procrastinating or landing an internship.

These tips will help you succeed in school. College years are so much fun, but stress is inevitable. Keep a positive attitude and remember to focus on the positives. After all, we are Trojans! Now embrace the school year and fight on!