Anthony Bailey, Ainsley Carry receive promotions

Two senior administrators in the Office of the Provost, Anthony Bailey and Ainsley Carry have been promoted to vice presidents, Provost Michael Quick announced in a statement Wednesday.

Bailey will serve as vice president for Strategic and Global Initiatives and Carry will serve as vice president for Student Affairs. They previously served as vice provost for Global Initiatives and vice provost for Student Affairs, respectively.

“Since joining the provost’s office, Anthony Bailey has overseen the development of several initiatives that increase USC’s global reputation and impact,” Quick said in the statement.

Bailey was instrumental in the launch of the USC International Academy and helped expand USC’s global reach, particularly in Latin America. Prior to his appointment at USC, Bailey worked for Kaplan, Inc. in the Latin American region.

Carry came to USC in 2013 from Auburn University where he also served as vice president for Student Affairs. He has previously held positions at the University of Arkansas, Temple University, Southern Methodist University and the University of Florida.

“[Carry] has provided more direct channels for students seeking support services, increased campus security measures and awareness programs, and integrated academic advising with our career center to provide more focused pathways for students once they graduate,” Quick said in the statement.

In an interview with the Daily Trojan, Carry said he was pleased with the promotion. He said his predecessor, Michael L. Jackson, had the title vice president for Student Affairs. In an effort to strengthen the connection between Student Affairs and Academic Affairs, Carry was given the title vice provost when he first joined USC.

“Now we feel pretty confident about that connection, so the current provost thought it would be appropriate to give Student Affairs the scope and responsibility it needs,” Carry said.

Carry said he will continue working on many of the initiatives he was a part of as vice provost including student safety, health and wellness initiatives and  campus and student engagement.