VSA set to hold annual culture night

The Vietnamese Student Association continually strives to increase its visibility as an Asian-American organization on campus. The group adds  dimension to the image of the Asian-American community by bringing mental health issues to the forefront.   This year, they hope to shed light on the existence of  Vietnamese-American students through its annual culture night.

Hosted by USC VSA for the past 38 years, the Vietnamese Culture Night is an annual event that celebrates Vietnamese traditions and culture through the performing arts. This year, the show’s producers will be presenting a play with interludes of Vietnamese music and dance performances. The theme, “Grateful,” strives to send an important message to its viewers on Saturday.

“We wanted to provide a platform for students in the Vietnamese community to speak about their stories and have a place to share their voices,” explained Maitlyn Pham, co-director of VCN. “So, when our entire production team came together, we decided to conceive a universal concept and story that would not only resonate with Vietnamese students, but also the rest of the Asian-American community here at USC.”

After an entire year of exhaustive planning and rehearsals, VSA is ready to showcase its production as the final event of Asian Pacific American Student Assembly’s 2016 Heritage Festival. Teresa Pham, co-president of VSA, explains the purpose and mission.

“For us, we hope VCN will bring together members of the Vietnamese student community. VSA is also aiming to use this event as a way to educate people about bicultural issues that are prevalent in the lives of Vietnamese Americans today.”

The production, “Grateful,” presents a touching story about the struggles that protagonist Joy faces in the wake of a family tragedy. Her emotional distress causes a strain between her and the rest of her family, while also affecting her academic life at USC. Through passion and support, the Vietnamese American community comes together to save Joy and her family from the crisis that nearly tears them apart.

Sophomore Beverly Pham, who is playing the lead role of Joy, is excited to play a character with themes so close to her heart.

“It’s been great getting to incorporate a part of my Vietnamese heritage into an American college setting, and I’m excited to share the final product with my fellow Trojans and the Vietnamese community at large,” Pham said.

The show is mainly comprised of members of the organization as well as volunteers who hope to provide an accurate depiction of Vietnamese-American society today.

“This year we will be expecting about 300 members to attend from not only from USC, but also different schools, such as UCLA and UCSB. We really hope that this show will better promote our community on campus and also expose others to the charm of Vietnamese culture. Expect a lot of dancing, maybe tears, and prepare to be amazed!” said Pham.

The 38th Vietnamese Culture Night will be hosted on Saturday at  6 p.m. in Bovard Auditorium. It will be free and open to the general public.

1. Lance
    Lance says:

This is a positive step for all, because being an international student isn’t easy, given our complex culture and language. Assistance must come from numerous sources to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey. A new award-winning worldwide book/ebook that reaches out to help anyone coming to the US is “What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.” It is used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors. It also identifies “foreigners” who became successful in the US and how they’ve contributed to our society, including students.

A chapter on education explains how to be accepted to an American university and cope with a confusing new culture, friendship process and daunting classroom differences. Some stay after graduation. It has chapters that explain how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.

It also has chapters that identify the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.

Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and informative books to extend a cultural helping hand so we all have a win-win situation. Good luck to all wherever you study!