Three track and field athletes honored

Three Trojans were named Pac-12 Track and Field Athletes of the Week on Tuesday, marking the second week in a row where USC athletes have dominated the Athlete of the Week competition.

Sophomore Ricky Morgan was selected as the men’s track athlete, senior Jaide Stepter was selected as the women’s track athlete and sophomore long jumper Adoree’ Jackson was selected as the men’s field athlete.

Morgan’s award came after winning the 400-meter dash at the Power Conference Cardinal and Gold meet, running a personal record of 45.54 seconds and taking almost a second off his previous personal record. His time is the best in the country and helped the Trojans take second at that meet against high-ranked teams such as No. 3 Florida, No. 7 Texas and No. 13 Ohio State.

Septer also runs the 400-meter dash and set the USC women’s record at the Cardinal and Gold meet at 50.91 seconds. The time ranks fifth in Pac-12 history and leads the country. Septer also ran a 50.6 second leg to win the women’s 4×400-meter relay at the same meet.

Jackson won the long jump at the Cardinal and Gold Challenge with a 7.82-meter jump, a length which tied for sixth in the country. He also placed second in the 100-meter race with 10.41 second time, which ranks in the top 20 in the nation.

This was the second Athlete of the Week award for all three of these Trojans in the last two weeks of the 2016 track and field season. Their next meet will take place this weekend in San Diego at the California Collegiate Invitational.