Festival fashions return for Coachella 2016

With the end of April fast approaching, college students are starting to stress about finals while also getting amped up for one of the biggest music festivals in the country. The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival spans over a two-weekend period starting this Friday, featuring artists such as Ellie Goulding, Disclosure and Calvin Harris. With such outstanding performances anticipated, festival goers will dress to stand out in bold patterns, billowy silhouettes and bohemian-inspired accessories.

Fashion idols and supermodel friends Kendall Jenner and Hailey Baldwin made appearances at the festival last year, with their looks setting new goals for this upcoming weekend. Baldwin was playful with her paisley print crop top, while Jenner sported a backwards baseball cap to unleash her inner tomboy. With stark contrasts between outfits, Coachella shines its spotlight on those expressing their individual characteristics through widely held and distinctive fashion trends.

Individualization in the Coachella fashion realm seems far out of reach, but with H&M’s special collection dedicated to the festival, featuring Baldwin as one of the main models, festival goers have access to all of the accessories and apparel necessary to develop their own aesthetic. Nothing makes a statement better than statement accessories: chunky necklaces, chokers, body chains, flower crowns, wide brimmed hats and aviator sunglasses. Located in Indio, California, the annual music festival will most likely be swept under a heat wave, and patrons will look for stylish and sharp ways to cool off.

But don’t limit accessories as the only component capable of cooling off — let the whole outfit speak for itself. Distressed jeans have already been integrated as a college fashion favorite, but they are now serving a more practical purpose in the desert. As denim exudes earthy hues of blue, rose colored textiles and tan suede textures encourage a natural color palette to blend in with the environment.

While modeling a natural palette, festival wear also features natural shapes for the ultimate comfortable and chic look. Rompers, blouses, muscle tanks and flared jeans from stores like Free People and Urban Outfitters share flowy outlines that not only feel free, but stick to the urban style students from big cities like Los Angeles are accustomed to.

Street style is claiming its power in every setting, including the desert. Where gladiator sandals and heeled boots once reigned, Adidas, Vans and Converse sneakers have taken over as the new go-to concert shoes. With rowdy crowds preparing for rappers like G-Eazy and Rae Sremmund to take over the microphone, feet protection plays a major role in concert wear while sporting the latest brands to enhance the overall fashion and music experience.

As festival wear continues to pay homage to 1970s fashion with bell bottom jeans and fringe vests, Coachella applauds today’s style interspersed with individual twists. From diverse prints to personal trinkets worn as necklaces and bracelets, festival wear unites music fanatics with an appreciation for the arts and a tribute to their own tastes in fashion.