Coachella Festival offers musical escape in desert

The second weekend of the Coachella Valley Arts Music and Arts Festival was a ticket to a sweaty and hazy desert paradise. Over the years, Coachella has become more than just a music festival — it has become an experience in itself, defined by factors completely unrelated to music. Originally an obscure event meant for indie music lovers to lay on the grass and enjoy music, the festival has completely evolved over the years, with more diverse genres of music including EDM, hip-hop and rock in addition to becoming a mainstream destination for not only the music, but also fashion and food. With so many shenanigans that occurred during the first weekend, including surprise appearances by Sam Smith and Kanye West, the second weekend was filled with even more anticipation and promise.

On Friday evening, under the palm trees and the pink sky, hip-hop artist A$AP Rocky took the stage to excited fans, hoping that he would bringing out Kanye West. He sang popular hits “Goldie,” “L$D,” and brought out his friend Tyler the Creator to share the stage with him. He brought out A$AP Ferg of A$AP mob to perform their acclaimed single “Hella Hoes,” dedicating their performance to group member A$AP Yams, who recently passed away from accidental overdose. “Rest in f-in peace Yams” Rocky shouted as everyone put their arms up in solidarity. He ended his set with his most well-known song, “F-ckin Problems.” During weekend one, Kanye West crashed A$AP Rocky’s performance, and the crowd thought the same would happen as a surprise. However, things turned out differently. “Kanye, Kanye” the crowd shouted as R&B star Miguel came out on stage. Many were disappointed but still welcomed his presence as the two artists sang “Everyday” together. Other popular artists like James Bay, CHVRCHES, Disclosure and Jack Ü  enchanted audiences and fans with their powerful stage presence and performances. However, the most phenomenal performance took place on Saturday night, during Ice Cube’s set. They dedicated a very short performance to NWA member Eazy-E by bring out his son Lil’ E and singing a short clip of “Boyz-in-the-Hood.” He also brought out NWA members DJ Yella and MC Ren to play “Straight Outta Compton.”

“We missin’ somebody if you know what I mean,” Ice Cube said after the performance to the crowd.  “Is there a doctor in the mother f-icking house?”

The audience went insane as he brought out rapper Dr. Dre who sang a mind-blowing cover of Tupac’s “California Love.”

During Ice Cube’s performance, he projected images of Eazy-E as well as clips from Straight Outta Compton, the powerful film that told the story of NWA and hit themes on racial and social injustice, as well as clips of protests for the justice of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager that was shot and killed by a neighborhood watchman in 2012. NWA’s notorious 1988 song, “F-ck Tha Police” sparked much controversy and heightened the tension between the police and African Americans. The whole crowd put their middle fingers up and shouted the words to the song, emphasizing the importance of freedom of speech in our country.

Freedom is what the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival stands for whether it’s wearing the ridiculous outfit that one would never wear to school or work, or standing on a random person’s shoulders or rolling on the grass for no reason other than the fact that it’s fun, the second weekend was a blissful experience.