Lacrosse earns two awards

The honors keep piling up for women’s lacrosse. A day after finishing off a perfect 17-0 regular season with a 14-4 win over UC Davis at McAlister Field on Senior Day, the fifth-ranked Women of Troy had two players receive awards.

Junior attacker Michaela Michael was named the MPSF Offensive Player of the Week, while senior defender Courtney Tarleton was tabbed the Defensive Player of the Week.

The pair should be used to this by now — this is Michael’s fourth Offensive Player of the Week honor this season and Tarleton’s third weekly award. In all, five members of the roster have received 11 different awards in an accomplished season for the Trojans.

Michael continues to score at a torrid pace. She scored 8 goals and dished out three assists last week. Her 86 points — 58 goals and 28 assists — far and away lead the team. She is averaging 3.41 goals per game, ranking 10th in the nation.

Tarleton led the country’s top defense by forcing nine turnovers and picking up six ground balls last week.

The Trojans went 3-0 last week, beating No. 6 Notre Dame on the road last Monday, No. 9 Stanford at the Coliseum last Friday and UC Davis on Sunday. Their defense came up big in both the Notre Dame and Stanford games, which were both decided by a goal.

The Women of Troy look to follow up their historic regular season with a strong postseason. They go into the MPSF Tournament holding the top seed and begin play with a semifinal match against either UC Davis or Denver on Friday at Stanford.