Angela Cross discusses her music career

21-year-old Angela Cross is a Vietnamese-American singer-songwriter based in Los Angeles. A lover of arts and fashion, Cross is a senior majoring in fine arts with an emphasis in graphic design and painting. With a music style that is a fusion of soul, pop, R&B and rock, her infectious energy and soulful voice is hard to go unnoticed. Angela Cross released her first music video on April 20 and is set to record her new EP in July. Cross sat down with the Daily Trojan for an exclusive interview about the inspiration behind her music and how she began her career as an artist.

Daily Trojan: What/who inspired you to be a singer-songwriter?

Angela Cross: My mentor, Kathryn Keats, inspired me. I helped her plan a surprise birthday party for her son when I was 12 and she heard about my story. For some reason, she saw potential in me and started training me in performance and songwriting. It was her way of helping me through the chaos I was experiencing at home. I was completely tone deaf in middle school and to this day, I still don’t understand why she decided to take me in. She’s basically my fairy godmother.

DT: What is your songwriting process like?

AC: When I write songs, it’s inspired by a life experience. Some people can just sit down and write just to write, but I just can’t do that. It just kind of seems backward to me. I’ve always believed that I should bring life to my music rather than the other way around. Songs shouldn’t be self-referential. I don’t know if that made sense, whatever. I usually start with a concept or a lyric, then I write chords and lyrics as I go!

DT: How does being Asian-American affect the way you make your music or view the music industry?

AC: Being a first-generation Vietnamese-American pursuing music, I have to understand I’m attempting something that hasn’t really been done before. I want to reach the masses — not to be famous, but to spread a positive message to as many people as possible. It’s terrifying, but it pushes me every day to fiercely work.

DT: What do you hope to accomplish by being an artist?

AC: I want to reach the masses and spread a positive message. My main objective for songwriting is for people to understand that they can be transparent with their story and still be understood, loved and influential. My objective for pursuing music is for people to be brave and follow whatever God has put on their hearts. I am the most anxious human on the planet. I never had “natural talent” and that just adds to my story. I hope people can learn that with faith and hard work, all things are possible. It’s super cliché, I know.

DT: Why did you decide to give yourself the stage name Angela Cross?

AC: I like the weight of “Cross.” It’s just a very purposeful name, which is what I want my music to reflect. If you think of a literal cross, there’s weight, there’s power in it. Also, my real last name is Ho, so…..

DT: What would you classify your genre as and who are your greatest musical influences?

AC: It has always been difficult for people and me to classify my genre. I’d say it’s a mix of soul, alternative rock, pop and hip hop. My favorite artists are Tori Kelly, Kimbra, Kendrick Lamar, Jeff Buckley, Phony Ppl, Etta James and, of course, Queen Bey.

DT: What are your plans for this summer in terms of your music?

AC: I’ll be doing all kinds of shows. Festival, bar, collective, maybe coffee shops and maybe even a backyard show — so many possibilities! Also, I’ll be recording an EP in July while working on improving the songs that I currently have.

DT: How has being at USC impacted your music career? What opportunities have you received from your experience at the University?

AC: I was brave enough to pursue music because of the people I met at USC. In sophomore year, I got my first solo in the Saved by Grace gospel choir and I cried before the show, but I didn’t die! I realized I was capable of being on a stage. Later on, my friends who are engineers decided to host a show for me and through doing more shows, I got connected into the music scene at USC. My friends and the musicians at USC have really pushed me to work harder.