Browne and Darnold still competing for starting spot

Going into the 2015 season, it was a given that former quarterback Cody Kessler would be the starter. As a result, backup quarterback Max Browne was forced to patiently wait for another season to get his chance.

It was initially thought that Browne, a former five-star recruit and Gatorade National Football Player of the Year, was going to be the definite starter heading into the 2016 season.

However, head coach Clay Helton decided to give redshirt freshman Sam Darnold a legitimate chance to compete for the starting job. This is not an indication of a lack of confidence in Browne, but rather a testament to the massive improvement that the 19-year-old Darnold has made.

“I feel like I could work on maintaining my mechanics and just keeping in the playbook — mastering the offense as much as I can,” Darnold said when asked what areas he felt needed work.

At Pac-12 Media Day in July, Helton said the fact that Browne is a redshirt junior has no bearing on who ends up starting.

“We are so fortunate at ‘SC to have the young men we have,” Helton said. “One of the things that they understand is when you come to ‘SC, it’s about competition. It doesn’t matter whether you are a junior, whether you’re a freshman — the best player plays.”

Browne has had more time in the current offensive system and has gotten more reps in with the first team during practice. While this gives Browne the slight edge, it does not guarantee the starting position. Darnold has never played a snap for the Trojans, but in his time with the team, Browne has officially only thrown 19 pass attempts.

On the first day of fall camp many felt, including Helton, that the team depth was the best it has been in some time.

“It felt a little like a different team than spring,” Helton said.

Darnold agreed with his coach.

“There’s a different feel obviously [compared to spring ball], because we have Alabama the first game and the season is really close,” Darnold said. “It’s going to be a long season but we are looking forward to it.”

Though many see a battle between two talented quarterbacks as a good problem to have, many  would have preferred a pick after the spring game. However, before the whispers of quarterback instability gain traction, it’s crucial to note that many talented programs have delayed making a choice and had tremendous success. Former examples include Johnny Manziel, named a starter on Aug. 15 at Texas A&M; Marcus Mariota, named a starter on Aug. 24 at Oregon; and Jameis Winston, named a starter on Aug. 23 at Florida State.

During the first fall practice, Helton confirmed he would name a starting quarterback on Aug. 20.

“Today both of them played well,” Helton said. “You didn’t see interceptions out there, and there were some big plays down the field. I look forward to watching the tape over the next practices and see how both progress … Competition is a good thing.”

Despite the seemingly close battle, it appears that Browne will likely be the starter. Even the ambitious Darnold couldn’t help but compliment his competitor.

“Max can run as well. He’s a threat to run the ball,” Darnold said. “He’s worked really hard on that — harder than anyone that I’ve ever known — at getting faster and stronger.”

The athleticism and arm strength of Browne has been stated ad nauseam throughout his tenure. One thing that cannot be overlooked is Browne’s poise as he enters his fourth fall with the program. The team would be hard pressed to find a more patient player as he competes for a starting job. When asked how he felt regarding the Aug. 20 depth chart, Browne agreed with his coach.

“It makes sense,” Browne said. “If I was head coach I’d do the same thing. You talk about that two-week mark, you have a mock week of what a game week is going to be like. Then it’s ’Bama week.”

The two quarterbacks and the rest of the Trojans continue to practice before starting positions are named and the true preparation for the Alabama opener begins.