No. 9 soccer earns ninth-straight victory

It was all Katie Johnson for the Trojans on Sunday as the team took down Oregon State 3-1, finishing off a victorious weekend in Oregon.

The Trojans took control of the game from the get-go, with redshirt senior forward Johnson finishing off a cross from redshirt junior forward Alex Anthony in the eighth minute. The offense found its rhythm quickly, and three minutes later senior midfielder and defender Savannah Levin fed a ball to senior midfielder Morgan Andrews, who found Johnson on the far post for her second goal.

The offensive pace didn’t slow from there. Johnson had two more shots on goal in the next 10 minutes alone, and at the end of the first half the Trojans had already taken 10 shots and forced Oregon State to make three saves. The attacking pressure allowed for the defense to push up, and redshirt senior goalkeeper Sammy Jo Prudhomme didn’t need to make a single save in the first half.

Heading into the second, the Trojans just needed to keep the offensive momentum built in the first half. Johnson did just that by earning a hat trick with a turn-around goal in the box, snatching a loose pass from a defender and finishing into an open net.

Sunday’s hat trick doubled the goals that Johnson has scored so far this season. The senior was forced to redshirt last season after an injury, but before that she was a scoring leader for the team. Alongside Anthony, Andrews and junior midfielder Nicole Molen, Johnson is part of the high-intensity offense that head coach Keidane McAlpine believes will give the team increased success this season.

As time wound down, the Trojans allowed a goal after a shot rebounded off the post and was cleaned up by the Oregon State attacking line. But the win marked the team’s ninth-straight win, leaving them undefeated in conference play. It was also the second career hat trick for Johnson, who now leads the team with six goals on the season.

This weekend’s wins will be crucial for the Trojans as they return home and prepare for next week’s matchups against Stanford and the Cal. Stanford is the top-ranked team in the nation, with highly touted players such as Jane Campbell and Andi Sullivan. Although the Trojans have been successful so far this season, back-to-back contests with Top 25 programs will test if the team is truly ready to compete with the best.

1. Steve B.
    Steve B. says:

The only good hire made by former AD Haden to a program that was in a quandary. Good luck against Stanford
    this weekend.