Opinion Columns

Spring 2021 columns

Progress Without Profit
Sophie Roppe is a junior writing about nonprofit organizations and social justice. Her column, “Progress Without Profit,” runs every other Monday.

The Principle’s Office
Julia Leb is a junior writing about philosophy, politics and social issues. Her column, “The Principle’s Office,” runs every other Monday.

Back in My Day
Lois Angelo is a sophomore writing about the intersections of gerontology and social issues. He is also co-chief copy editor of the Daily Trojan. His column, “Back In My Day,” runs every other Tuesday.

The Left and the Left Out
Javier Calleja Erdmann is a junior writing about politics. His column, “The Left and the Left Out,” usually runs every other Wednesday.

The Eck’s Factor
Matthew Eck is a rising junior writing about culturally relevant social issues. His column, “The Eck’s Factor,” typically runs every other Wednesday.

This is a graphic design of the word “opinion” in a speech bubble. The background is purple and there are various shapes surrounding the speech bubble.

Breaking Out
Victoria Valenzuela is a junior writing about criminal justice and prison reform and policies. Her column, “Breaking Out,” runs every other Thursday.

columnist graphic for Montana Denton fall 2020

Triple Bottom Line
Montana Denton is a junior writing about environmental issues, sustainability and society. Her column, “Triple Bottom Line,” runs every other Thursday.

Chronically Catherine
Catherine Ames is a junior writing about life as a young person coexisting with chronic illness. Her column, “Chronically Catherine,” runs every other Friday.

Putting The “I” In Immigrant
Noelle Natividad is a sophomore writing about the immigrant experience in America. Her column, “Putting The ‘I’ In Immigrant,” runs every other Friday.

In Sickness and In Health
Yagna Sreeramaneni is a sophomore writing about the current issues in health. Her column, “In Sickness and in Health,” runs every other Friday.

Fall 2020 columns

Progress Without Profit

Carson on California
Stuart Carson is a senior writing about California politics. He is also one of the deputy diversity & inclusion directors for the Daily Trojan. His column, “Carson on California,” ran every other Monday.

The Principle’s Office
Julia Leb is a junior writing about philosophy, politics and social issues. Her column, “The Principle’s Office,” ran every other Monday.

Green Juice Skeptic
Sophia Ceniza is a junior writing about the intersections of wellness and social issues. She is also the wellness & outreach director of the Daily Trojan. Her column, “Green Juice Skeptic,” ran every other Tuesday.

Back in My Day

Manual Focus
Aisha Patel is a sophomore writing about soft skills in relation to current events. She is also co-chief copy editor of the Daily Trojan. Her column, “Manual Focus,” ran every other Tuesday.

The Eck’s Factor

As it Were
Michael Mikail is a senior writing about race, culture and politics. His column, “As It Were,” ran every other Wednesday. 

Triple Bottom Line

She Begat This
Endiya Griffin is a freshman writing about current events through the lens of social justice and feminism, race and culture. Her column, “She Begat This,” runs every other Friday.

Putting The “I” In Immigrant

Summer 2020 columns

She is Fierce
Andrea Klick is a rising junior writing about women’s identities. Her column, “She is Fierce,” typically runs every other Wednesday.

The Eck’s Factor

Spring 2020 columns

She is Fierce
Andrea Klick is a sophomore writing about women’s identities. Her column, “She is Fierce,” typically runs every other Monday.

’90s Kid Unleashed
Ellen Murray is a senior writing about being a millennial. Her column, “’90s Kid Unleashed,” typically ran every other Monday.

The Bar-On Brief
Shauli Bar-On is a senior writing about sociopolitical issues. His column, “The Bar-On Brief,” typically ran every other Tuesday.

Holding Center
Dillon Cranston is a sophomore writing about politics. His column, “Holding Center,” typically runs every other Wednesday.

Gray Matter
Jessica He is a senior writing about neuroscience. Her column, “Gray Matter,” typically ran every other Wednesday.

Piece of Mind
Adriana Zraly is a junior writing about mental health and well-being. Her column, “Piece of Mind,” typically ran the last Wednesday of every month.

The Eck’s Factor
Matthew Eck is a sophomore writing about culturally relevant social issues.  His column, “The Eck’s Factor,” typically runs every other Thursday.

Expat Generation
Javier Calleja Erdmann is a sophomore writing about the international student experience. His column, “Expat Generation,” typically runs every other Friday.