In tribute: Patrick Swayze’s career displayed versatility

Pop culture has suffered many tragic hits in the last several months.

The King of Pop. The sunny face of the original Charlie’s Angels. The most convincing infomercial salesman. A high-profile DJ.

Triple threat · Swayze, who died Monday at age 57, starred in several cult classics, including 1991’s Point Break with Keanu Reeves (right). - Photos courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox

And now, the shamelessly sexy dance teacher who taught Baby to finally let go.

On Monday, three-time Golden Globe-nominated actor Patrick Swayze lost his life to a 20-month battle with pancreatic cancer.

Though Swayze first became a household name as an ’80s heartthrob and, later, built up an eclectic résumé with roles in classic cult films, Swayze was a bona fide multi-talented performer.

The son of choreographer Patsy Swayze, who owned a dance studio in Houston, Swayze literally grew up in the dance world, studying several styles at his mother’s studio. He later moved to New York to complete his formal ballet training at the Joffrey Ballet School. Before the spotlights of Hollywood beckoned, Swayze was drawn to Broadway, leaving the ballet realm to star as Danny Zuko in a production of Grease. It was the first time Swayze blended together his passions for dance and acting and, as a 30-year-long film career followed, it wouldn’t be the last.

Here are some of Swayze’s most memorable on-screen performances.

Dirty Dancing (1987)

While nobody puts Baby in the corner, Swayze’s Johnny Castle ain’t no wallflower, either. Another seemingly cheesy film in the ’80s dance flick repertoire, Dirty Dancing was initially set to have a one-week theater run and then go straight to video — until a shirtless Swayze sashed his hips onto the screen, literally sweeping actress Jennifer Grey off her feet. Dirty Dancing marks Swayze’s breakthrough film role and solidified his status as a charismatic and bankable leading man.

Ghost (1990)

After a slew of critical bombs, Swayze stated that being typecast was his biggest fear. This personal pressure to try something new led Swayze to Ghost, the early ’90s tearjerker that also starred Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg. Swayze won over audiences with his tender sensibility in his portrayal of a recently deceased man trying to warn his lover of possible danger. The film also earned Swayze his second Golden Globe nomination.

Point Break (1991)

Swayze again avoided typecasting by taking the unusual role of Bohdi in Kathryn Bigelow’s bank-robbing action flick, Point Break. As a grungy, beach-blond, bank-robbing surfer, Swayze stole the show from then-rising star Keanu Reeves and instantly achieved cult icon status.

Donnie Darko (2001)

It’s famously rumored throughout the halls of the USC School of Cinematic Arts that writer-director Richard Kelly modeled Swayze’s self-absorbed motivational speaker after renowned film professor Drew Casper. Though Kelly has repeatedly denied the claim, Swayze’s perfect tan, tight-fitting polo shirts and animated manner of speech is quite suspicious. The truth aside, Swayze’s role adds a burst of life to this terribly depressing indie drama.

The Beast (2009)

The A&E television series, which aired for only 13 episodes, was Swayze’s last on-screen performance, one he tirelessly filmed while enduring chemotherapy sessions. Swayze’s turn as a veteran FBI agent ensured that his long, fulfilling career would end with a bang.