Hit-and-run victim’s alcohol level was high

Neon Tommy is reporting that the victim of last spring’s fatal hit-and-run had a high level of alcohol in her system at the time of the incident.

According to the autopsy report obtained by Neon Tommy, 18-year-old Adrianna Bachan had a blood alcohol level of .17, compared to the legal limit of .08

This development could become a factor in the upcoming trial of Claudia Cabrera and Josue Luna, the couple accused in the hit-and-run. Both face felony charges of leaving the scene of an accident and Cabrera faces an additional charge of vehicular manslaughter.

Luna and Cabrera appeared in court for an arraignment Tuesday and are set to return to court for trial on Nov. 4.

1. Sarah
    Sarah says:

Her BAC doesn’t excuse the fact that this couple drove fast enough to run over two people, kill one, then drag a young man off their hood and leave him in the middle of the road with severe injuries. That doesn’t excuse them driving away from the incident, and then fleeing the country. Whatever her BAC was, the actions surrounding the hit-and-run are disgusting.

• jack
      jack says:

@sarah:

“Whatever her BAC was, the actions surrounding the hit-and-run are disgusting.”

Yes, they are.

2. jack
    jack says:

I’m pretty sure that the two victims were not crossing at the actual crosswalk, as pointed out by a couple of witnesses. Either way this proves they weren’t 100% conscious of their surroundings.

3. Guest
    Guest says:

.08 is the legal limit for driving, why would this have anything to do with a pedestrian? If anything, the legal limit in any situation was 0.00 BAC since she was under the age of 21.

Adrianna’s contributory negligence might have some effect on whether the parties get charged with gross vehicular manslaughter or just plain Vehicular Manslaughter. However, I don’t think a reasonable jury will side with a party that ran over anyone crossing through a pedestrian crosswalk at the adequate time, regardless of her state of mind.