Halloween could be extra sweet for USC

Most people circle their calendars every year on Oct. 31 because it’s Halloween.

Now don’t get me wrong, Halloween is a great holiday. It’s not every day of the year that men get to dress up in goofy costumes and women get to barely dress up at all.

It makes for a fun night.

But this year is a little different. The holiday could mean something so much more to the Trojan community.

Halloween just so happens to be on a Saturday. And what do Saturdays in October mean? That’s right: Trojan football.

This Halloween represents what might be the most important day left for the Trojans in their quest for not only a Pac-10 championship, but a national title.

I’ll start with the USC game.

No. 5 USC travels to Eugene, Ore. to face the No. 10 Ducks at 5 p.m. in a highly anticipated matchup of the two best teams in the Pac-10. A win for the Trojans sets them up for an unprecedented eighth straight conference championship under coach Pete Carroll.

But it’s no secret that the Trojans have struggled in the state of Oregon in the past three seasons. They have lost to the Oregon State Beavers twice in Corvallis and the Ducks once in Eugene.

Carroll said going up to Oregon is a challenge because Duck fans represent one of the best crowds he has seen in football, and that’s not just because of how loud they can be.

“They have a good attitude of the way they support their team. They are very outspoken,” Carroll said. “The noise is one aspect, but you can feel the intensity of their crowd, and they do a good job.”

The Trojans will have to bring their A-game on offense and fix their late-game defensive struggles to defeat a very solid, all-around Oregon team that has looked great after overcoming its season-opening loss to Boise State.

If USC pulls out the win, it will be in good shape in the Pac-10. Obviously, the Trojans will have to survive their remaining schedule, but it looks favorable.

But there’s another game on Halloween evening that Trojan fans should keep their eyes on.

One spot is still open for a shot at competing for a national championship.

If the top two teams — Florida and Alabama — remain undefeated throughout the rest of the season, they will meet in the SEC Championship game. There is going to be a loser that will not get to play in the Rose Bowl for the national title.

No. 3 Texas, however, still stands in the Trojans’ way. (So does No. 4 Iowa, but I’m banking on the Hawkeyes losing at Ohio State in a couple weeks.)

Let’s say USC ends its losing streak in Oregon. Its national title ambitions will still be in jeopardy unless No. 14 Oklahoma State can pull out an upset against Texas.

Why is so much riding on that game this weekend?

Because Oklahoma State is the only remaining threat in the way of an undefeated season for the Longhorns. If Texas wins, USC might as well kiss its title chances goodbye, because the Longhorns shouldn’t have too much trouble running the table against their last four opponents: UCF, Baylor, Kansas and Texas A&M.

For those of you wondering, those teams have a combined conference record of 4-9.

Unfortunately, history isn’t on the Cowboys’ side. They have not beaten Texas since 1997, and the Longhorns lead the all-time series 21-2.

If you look at the recent trend, though, the numbers aren’t so bad. In 2007, Oklahoma State led most of the game at home before losing 38-35 at the hands of a McCoy second-half comeback. Still, the Cowboys forced the quarterback to throw three interceptions in Stillwater, Okla., the site of Saturday’s contest.

And last season, the Longhorns barely eked out a 28-24 win in Austin, Texas, against those same Cowboys by holding Oklahoma State scoreless on two separate defensive stands to end the game.

Although the overall record is lopsided in Texas’ favor, it appears Oklahoma State is closing the gap.

So maybe, just maybe, this is the year the Cowboys break through.

And maybe, just maybe, this is the year the Trojans end their hex in Oregon.

And maybe, just maybe, this Halloween will be one to remember for USC fans and not just for the nighttime festivities.

So as two huge games collide on Halloween night, try to make the best of both worlds.

On Saturday, root for two teams: Go Trojans! Go Cowboys!

Then go trick-or-treating.

“Soft Hands” runs every other Thursday. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email Jon at [email protected].

1. Greg Katz
    Greg Katz says:

Coach Carroll needs to take the reigns off of Taylor Mays and let him play the game like he did last year. Hitting hard and causing turnovers….. Mays has not been hitting like he has been. That nees to change on Saturday.
    Fight on.