Brit band parts on a solid note

In 2002, four North London blokes banded together to form The Rakes — a snappy, in-your-face rock band known for its politically conscious tunes and moody melodies. Spitting humor and lyric-heavy songs across two successful records, the band released its newest album Klang on Oct. 20.

Over seven wild years, the young quartet made of childhood buddies and fellow garage bums attracted a brigade of dedicated supporters from their English hometown and quickly grew a fanatical, cult-like following in the United States. Quirky and ridiculously fashionable, The Rakes made the transition from artsy musical alley cats roaming the streets of SoHo to international indie rockers enjoying decent success in the States most other acts only dream of.

Last hurrah · Following the cancellation of its UK and US tours this month, British indie-rock band The Rakes split up indefinitely last week. - Photo courtesy of The Rakes

If this flowery language is sounding at all like an obituary, it’s meant to.

Apologies in advance for being the bearer of bad news, but unless you’re already a part of the band’s core fan base, you probably haven’t heard that Klang is not only The Rakes’ third CD, but also its last. The boys surprisingly cancelled the rest of their UK and US tour dates (they would have played in LA this month) and (say it isn’t so) last week the British performers called it quits indefinitely with their decision to part ways “effective immediately.”

The band’s unexpected breakup comes on the heels of a highly anticipated tour and final LP which, despite backstage drama, is actually well done. A swift departure from their last album, The Rakes have evolved musically, experimenting with a range of song styles and producing a post-punk palette of pure variety. Critics completely unknowing of the fact that The Rakes were heading toward splitsville would have assumed the boys were well on their way to the top.

To produce the 10 tracks featured on Klang, the band relocated from their normal London studio to an ex-Soviet radio station building in Berlin. Along with a new environment, the freshness of the sound was somewhat forced; the album was created in a mere two weeks with each song recorded in a day, adding the pressure of a strict deadline. Rather than focusing on production, the band wanted to intimately capture a performance.

In line with The Rakes’ previous material, Klang is in no shortage of the usual addicting angst made to challenge the dullness of everyday life. On “Bitchin’ in the Kitchen,” a thumping bass and stringy guitar are joined with intriguing lyrics describing the rescue of a girl from the doom of domestic labor. Sly and suggestive, a catchy hook promises to take her outside to have a good time. The track’s presence of an actual melody helps it stand out from robotic tunes like the repetitive “You’re In It,” the band’s best example of a head banger — loud and catchy. Chaotic and muddled with syncopated yelling and overpowering instruments throughout.

While uniquely executed, The Rakes’ sound on Klang isn’t really unique itself, existing as a comprehensive sampling of modern electro-pop rock already out today. Alan Donohoe, the band’s lead singer, channels a mix between the undecipherable yet fixating vocals of Killers’ vocalist Brandon Flowers and the voiced spontaneity of Brendon Urie, the front man of yet another recent punk-rock casualty, Panic at the Disco.

Overall, his monotonous drones blended with the occasional moments of singing are refreshing and enjoyable, as long as they are not drowned out by background noise.

While Klang stands as a solid album on its own, the shock of the band forever bowing out from the industry overshadows the music, a development that can’t be overlooked. The Rakes leave behind a nearly decade-long legacy, which fans will undoubtedly miss.

They will also miss the skinny ties and striped polos. The band’s style landed them attention from high fashion heavy-hitters like the ex-head designer of Dior Homme, and even produced the soundtrack for one of his runway shows.

Back in 2005, they increased their groupie count getting face time in America while touring with Franz Ferdinand. Now, with its final imprint on the music world, The Rakes have managed to produce punk-indie fusion with attitude overflowing into Klang.

Everybody wants to go out with a bang. The Rakes finish strong, producing an album to be proud of and ending on one good last note.