LAPD takes new approach to enforcing bike laws

The Los Angeles Police Department took a slightly different approach to Wednesday’s traffic enforcement operation near USC’s campus than it took during its September effort.

At least six LAPD officers were patrolling Jefferson Boulevard throughout the day, rather than staking out the intersections of McClintock Avenue and Hoover Street, as they did last time and initially said they would this time.

Some students who biked through the designated intersections said they didn’t see much change in behavior.

“I biked across Hoover a bunch of times today and didn’t see anyone,” said Andrea Santos, a junior majoring in theatre. “People were biking across the whole time and usually when someone sees LAPD there’s a chain reaction and everyone gets off their bike.”

By noon, LAPD had issued just 15 citations, according to Department of Public Safety Capt. David Carlisle. During the September enforcement effort, LAPD issued a total of 120 citations.

Carlisle said when he visited the intersection of Jefferson and Hoover there were four LAPD officers, and he noticed students complying with the posted road signs.

“I saw lots of students walking their bikes,” Carlisle said.

Carlisle said LAPD reported that it noticed many motor vehicles failing to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk, and it plans to return Thursday to address the issue.

“It appears they will be back tomorrow to monitor areas such as Hoover and 28th [Street] and Hoover and Adams [Boulevard] because of the number of vehicles ignoring pedestrians in crosswalks,” Carlisle said.

1. Ben Pantsed
    Ben Pantsed says:

Those bike cops should just be there enforcing traffic regs, not ridiculous nonsense rules (I’ve gotten THREE tickets at Hoover and Jefferson for not having a front license plate because my car doesn’t have anyplace to put one!).

2. William Buttrey
    William Buttrey says:

In addition to the increased enforcement for safety concerns regarding bike laws, I would like to see the patrol officers start to cite vehicles for excessive noise from boom stereos and modified exhaust systems. This can sometimes be a safety issue as well but just as importantly, it is a quality of life issue (it can also be a revenue generator for city). More and more inconsiderate drivers pollute the air with their sonic assault. I have seen police motorcycle and patrol officers ignore vehicles with a painfully loud bass signal blasted practically right next to them. Enforcement in this regard is pretty much toothless.

• Mr. DB
      Mr. DB says:

you know what I do when i see a car roll by with loud music? – I put down my pants and dance to the tune. nobody wants to see my ugly ass!