Playing injured not worth the risks

The senior had been waiting his whole life for this moment.

Ever since his high school football team lost in the state championship last year, the do-it-all quarterback vowed to win this time around. It was his last season to play with many of his best friends that he had been playing with since middle school, when they made a pact to win the state title.

After a few early hiccups, he led his team through the regular season and into the playoffs. On the way, the three-year phenom established numerous career program records. This season, he passed for more than 1,800 yards, ran for more than 1,200 yards and combined for 35 touchdowns passing and running.

It was his time and destiny to finally win the school’s first football state championship.

But it all came crashing down when, in the game leading up to the playoffs, he was hit on a helmet-to-helmet collision. He got up and couldn’t even read the scoreboard. That’s when he knew he had a concussion.

All week leading up to the first-round playoff game, the quarterback, John Whitelaw, tried to get clearance to play. He saw trainers, concussion specialists and talked with his coach and parents. He had severe headaches that just wouldn’t go away. So Hinsdale Central High School (in Illinois) coach Mike DiMatteo made the decision that some coaches around the country wouldn’t have the guts to make — he sat his starting quarterback.

Only this wasn’t just his starting quarterback. By benching Whitelaw, DiMatteo had essentially sat the entire offense. Sure, there were 10 other starters on the field, but anyone who had watched Whitelaw knew that he was the lifeblood of the offense.

With Whitelaw out, Hinsdale Central never stood a chance against Sandburg High School (also in Illinois). They suffered their worst loss of the season, 35-10, and Whitelaw spent his final high school game on the sidelines.

“It was tough sitting on the sidelines,” Whitelaw said. “After the game I saw all the seniors, and I lost it. It was one of the saddest things I’ve ever experienced.”

His coach felt for him too.

“John’s career never should have ended like that. It’s unfortunate, but, on the other hand, his health has to come first,” DiMatteo said after the game last month. “I feel for him because of everything he’s given our program and of himself. It’s a hard thing as a coach and friend to see that happen, but there’s nothing you can do.”

Even though this happened halfway around the country, there are some important lessons to learn from this. DiMatteo made a decision that’s becoming tougher every day. With college scholarships and state championships on the line, it can sometimes be easy to forget about an athlete’s health.

Yet, DiMatteo and Whitelaw had the ability to see the future and knew that if Whitelaw got hit, his career and even life could have been in jeopardy. But many coaches and players ignore injury, thinking that it’s tough and even heroic to play hurt.

In fact, a study recently conducted by the Associated Press showed that 15 out of the 160 NFL players who responded said they hid or played down symptoms of a concussion.

Players admitted to staying on the field even though they feel concussion symptoms because “it’s what you’re taught,” said Miami Dolphins guard Justin Smiley.

However, coaches have wisened up and have become aware of injuries, frequently holding players out until they are positive it’s safe for them to return. This happened right in our own backyard, on the USC women’s soccer team.

All-American senior defender Meagan Holmes endured a knee injury at the beginning of the season. Even though the makeshift and inexperienced backline was suffering terribly without her, coach Ali Khosroshahin held her out until he knew it was time.

“The first thing that you think about is a player’s health. In conversations with the trainer, doctor and athlete you can just get a feel for it,” said Khosroshahin, who had knee injuries as a player and still feels the effects. “My attitude has changed regarding injuries. I want kids to understand that if they get back before they are ready, there’s a price to pay later. There’s times when I knew I shouldn’t have played, but I did and now I’m paying a price.”

In an age when injuries among youth athletes are more frequent than ever before, it’s refreshing to see coaches not rushing players back onto the field. Too often, coaches, fans and even the players themselves get caught up in the moment and forget about the long-term effects of playing while injured.

But is it really worth the risk of a lifetime of injury for the reward of a state championship trophy? Especially when you’ve been working toward that trophy for five years?

“The doctor told me that if someone whacks me on the helmet, that can cause a coma and death,” Whitelaw said. “I thought one football game wasn’t worth it.”

That’s what it is — just a game.

“Spittin’ Sports” runs Fridays. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email Kenny

at [email protected].