Last-second catches save Daily Trojan’s Blood Bowl streak

The streak continues.

In the Daily Trojan‘s annual flag football game against the Daily Bruin — termed the Blood Bowl — the Daily Trojan came out on top in a wild finish Friday on the slippery Intramural Field, bringing the Daily Trojan‘s winning streak in the series to a commanding 11 games.

Down 38-32 with less than four minutes to play, quarterback Grant Tunkel led the Daily Trojan down the field on a series of short passes. Once on the goaline, the Daily Bruin defense tightened up, stopping the Daily Trojan on three consecutive downs.

The Daily Trojan called timeout with five seconds remaining to draw up one final play. Tunkel evaded the pressure and found receiver Josh Jovanelly, who dove and made the catch in the left corner of the end zone for the game-tying score.

On the point after, receiver Dave Dulberg caught Tunkel’s pass to seal the 39-38 win for the Daily Trojan and save the streak.

The large contingent of Daily Trojan staff rushed the field to celebrate perhaps one of the greatest Blood Bowl victories in history. Some of the Daily Bruin players were reportedly seen weeping after the devastating loss.

1. Joseph Soqui
    Joseph Soqui says:

Hey everyone,

Let me congratulate you on that HUGE victory. Hate to date myself, but I remember breaking a long losing streak to the Daily Bruin back in 1996 in the first battle of the wiffle ball bats (doubt you guys still do that today). Anyway, you will treasure this win forever. In fact, somebody asked me about it at the game Saturday at the Coliseum and the next thing you know, about 10 people stopped watching the game and were listening to hold court about our come from behind win. (Granted the game was rather boring).
    Perhaps the best moment, besides celebrating with fellow staffers, was coming back to campus and telling Mona about it. Watching her face light up was the best.
    Again, congratulations on keeping the tradition alive and putting your stamp on this legacy!

Joseph Soqui
    Sports Editor Spring 1997
    Managing Editor Fall 1998