Jennifer Song to turn pro

While the football team’s recent losses certainly have damaged the program, the women’s golf team is set to suffer a similar blow at the end of the season.

Sophomore Jennifer Song, the No. 1 collegiate golfer in the country according to the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings, has announced that she will become a professional at the end of the season.

Song, who has won both of the tournaments she has played for the Women of Troy this season, is planning to turn pro in time to participate in the Women’s US Open.

Her freshman season with the Women of Troy culminated in a second place finish at the NCAA Championship, being named a first team All American and winning the NCGA’s Freshman of the Year award.

In between these seasons, Song became the second woman to ever win the Women’s Public Links championship and the Women’s Amateur in the same year.  She went on to finish 13th at the US Women’s Open, the lowest finish by any amateur in the field.

Song made the decision to turn pro after competing in the Halan-Kolon LPGA Tournament in Seoul, South Korea, last October.  She broke the news to her teammates at their annual Christmas party.

She has announced that she will retain her amateur status through this year’s Curtis Cup, a team competition between the top female amateurs in the United States and Great Britain/Ireland.  The NCAA Championship tournament is May 18-21 this year, giving Song and her teammates another opportunity to win the national title that eluded them last season.