11 Trojans officially invited to NFL Combine

Departing seniors safety Taylor Mays, running back Stafon Johnson, tight end Anthony McCoy and receiver Damian Williams highlight a list of 11 former Trojan football players who have been invited to the NFL’s Scouting Combine, held Feb. 24 to March 2.

The Combine, which is held annually in Indianapolis, Ind, is the NFL’s best talent show for draft-eligible college football players. Scouts from all 30 NFL teams will be in attendance to watch hundreds of players perform a variety of tests and skill challenges over the course of the six-day event.

Mays, Johnson, McCoy and offensive linemen Charles Brown and Jeff Byers all had the chance to impress the scouts already, as all five were invited to the Senior Bowl, but the Combine will be a chance to test themselves against the entire 2010 draft class.

Eight seniors had already received invitations earlier this month from the NFL, but juniors who declared for the draft received their invitations yesterday. Departing juniors defensive end Everson Griffen, wide receiver Damian Williams and running back Joe McKnight have all received invitations from the NFL.

Offensive lineman Alex Parsons, and defensive backs Josh Pinkard and Kevin Thomas round out the 11 invitations, joining a group of more than 300 invites that will be critiqued and analyzed by an expected scouting crowd of more than 600 NFL executives.