Trojans top visiting Loyola Marymount

Loyola Marymount had a tendency of giving up big innings in its first four games of the season, and in the bottom of the eighth inning USC made sure that continued in its 6-5 win Tuesday night.

The Trojans broke a 3-3 tie, taking advantage of a pair of free passes issued by left-handed pitcher Jason Wheeler. Wheeler faced only two batters, walking sophomore infielder Matthew Foat on four pitches and hitting Ricky Oropesa, also a sophomore infielder, with his sixth and final delivery.

After a sacrifice bunt attempt loaded the bases when reliever right-handed pitcher Chris Eusebio tried to force out a USC runner at third base, USC strung together a sacrifice fly and a pair of RBI singles by freshmen infielder Cade Kreuter and freshman catcher Richard Stock to take a 6-3 lead.

Senior Northern Iowa transfer and catcher Shuhei Fujiya collected his second win of the young season after completing the eighth inning. But Fujiya made it interesting in the ninth inning by giving up three hits and allowing two runs before USC coach Chad Kreuter went to the bullpen for junior pitcher Brett Williams.

“That’s college baseball,”  Kreuter said. “No lead is ever safe.”

With the tying run on third base only 90 feet away, the lead was just enough. Williams slammed shut the door needing only four pitches to strike out infielder Shon Roe to end the game.

Loyola Marymount scored the first run of the game without a hit, taking advantage of a pair of second-inning errors by Stock. After a catcher’s interference call and a sacrifice, outfielder Matt Lowenstein attempted to steal third base and waltzed home easily when Stock’s throw bounced into left field.

The Trojans responded in the third inning when senior outfielder Mike O’Neill hooked an 0-1 fastball down the line for a two-run homer that clanged off the foul pole.

The Lions would twice tie the ball game, but each time USC responded immediately.

After a Colton Plaia RBI double tied the game in the top of the fifth inning, the Lions handed USC a run when third baseman Shon Roe dropped a pop fly to the left side of the mound, allowing Foat to score from second base.

Playing a little small ball, LMU tied the game in the top of the eighth inning. Pinch hitter Jason Barmasse chopped a pitch off the plate for a single, was sacrificed to second and scored when Roe dribbled a single through the middle. But it was then that USC broke out its big inning.

“This is a different character of any other team [he has coached at USC],” Kreuter said. “There is a little battle, a little swagger to this team. They have a cocky confidence and don’t let the momentum sway.”

Neither starting pitcher figured into the decision. LMU’s sophomore left-handed pitcher John Lally pitched six innings, allowing three runs (two earned) on seven hits while Trojan sophomore pitcher Ben Mount was even more impressive.

The lanky, 6-foot-8 right-hander allowed only two hits and one earned run while striking out six Lions’ batters in his first career start pitching six strong innings.

“He pitched brilliant,” Kreuter said. “We had him on a pitch limit, but after he had such an easy fifth inning it was a no-brainer to push the limit back and put him back out for the sixth.”