The next generation of remakes, reboots and sequels

After years of mainstream films, many good ideas have already been used.

With the lack of new plots going around Hollywood these days, it’s understandable, then, that successful films from the past are being rehashed. But how many remakes and sequels do we need?

Thanks to the recent success of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, not one, but two Wizard of Oz remakes are headed our way, one from Warner Brothers and one from New Line Cinema.

Clash of the Titans hits theaters April 2, and it looks to be a remake of Jason and the Argonauts and the Sinbad series.

And though a revival of the Greek adventure genre might be nice, the inundation of superhero remakes must end.

Instead of Spiderman 4, we’re getting a Spiderman series reboot, which will focus on Peter Park’s transformation into Spiderman (like Batman Begins did) during his high school years. And there’s also a Venom spin-off in the works. The X-men series has also done well, and has three potential films for the future.

Good thing there are other action movies to look forward to, like a new Jurassic Park (which might launch a whole new trilogy) and Terminators 5 and 6.

A little later this year, some sure-to-be-highly-promoted remakes and sequels we can expect are Ironman 2, Inception, Shrek Forever After, The Karate Kid, Toy Story 3, and Red Dawn.

Production companies want low-risk scripts that have a high chance of being profitable, but feels like the plethora of remakes in Hollywood are starting to feel old and if the public agrees, then choosing a series continuation rather than a fresh idea could be an unprofitable idea after all.