TV comedy a poor man’s Monty Python

There are two things that hint at what kind of show Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire is. The first is the title, Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire. The second is that the principal villain is named Chancellor Donold David Dongalor.

Comedic sword · Krod Mandoon, which was produced for both Comedy Central and BBC Two, infuses fantasy with slapstick humor. - Photo courtesy of Comedy Central

With that in mind, it would be foolish to expect any semblance of highbrow humor from the show. Krod Mandoon, a British-American comedy made for both Comedy Central and BBC Two, doesn’t rely on the dry, witty writing that is more characteristic of contemporary comedies.

Instead, the show only really works because of pockets of inspired slapstick and absurdist humor strewn throughout an otherwise uneven comedy series. The first season, now released on DVD with extra features and uncensored material, shows signs of a premise with genuine potential — the real issue is whether or not this potential will be reached as the show forges on into a second season.

The story follows the travels of Krod Mandoon (full name Krodford, of course) and his entourage of fellow freedom fighters as they struggle against the Chancellor of Hessemeel, Dongalor.

Superficially, the premise works as a sort of parody of “sword and sorcery” fantasy tales, with emphasis on swashbuckling heroes and romantic side stories. The characters are all humorous takes on fantasy caricatures; Krod, for instance, is meant to be the brave-hearted leader, but is instead constantly distracted and oftentimes insecure.

Aneka, his short-lived girlfriend, fills the role of romantic interest, but uses sex loosely and often as a means of operation instead of being loyal and strong of heart. Then there’s Zezelryck, a young warlock who also happens to be completely inept at actual sorcery, as well as Loquasto, Krod’s “slave” that has been freed many times over but does not grasp the concept of freedom.

Much of the series’ humor comes from the silliness of the characters, and as stupid as the entire premise may seem, it is sometimes difficult to stifle a laugh. An encounter with a vicious Cyclops, for instance, becomes undeniably funny when it turns out that he is bisexual.

The character of Zezelryck is also played well by comedian Kevin Hart. His blend of Chris Rock’s incredulity and Eddie Murphy’s awkward charm provide an amusing backdrop to the trials of the characters as they voyage through Hessemeel.

Most notable of all, however, is Matt Lucas’ borderline ridiculous portrayal of Chancellor Dongalor, a vain and unimpressive dictator. The voice of the character alone is enough to make you grin.

Unfortunately for the show, a solid sea of storytelling mediocrity surrounds the occasional flash of funny. It seems that one of the reasons for Krod Mandoon’s poor Nielsen ratings is the difficulty viewers have getting hooked on the characters or the plot.

There’s simply not enough to keep viewers hanging on for more. Even in the span of one episode, it somehow seems entirely acceptable to zone out for large stretches of time.

Largely sub-par performances have a lot to do with it. For all his good-guy appeal, Sean Maguire (Krod) doesn’t always execute in terms of comedic timing (and let’s be honest, being in Meet the Spartans probably hurt his acting chops).

And could there be any more of a stereotyped display of homosexuality on T.V., as with Marques Ray’s character of Bruce?  Well yes — the preening, sassed-up Bruce certainly makes the list of cringe-inducing portrayals of gays.

More than anything else, the show suffers from a sense of familiarity and predictability, relying on the same slapstick and farce that was so refined by the Monty Python comedy troupe.

In fact, show creator Peter A. Knight admits that Monty Python and the Holy Grail was one of the biggest influences for Krod, and it is immediately apparent. Sadly, sometimes imitation is not the greatest form of flattery, especially when the attempt is nowhere near as funny.

At the very least, however, the show’s brand of humor is original: In today’s post-modern age of constant cultural references that pass themselves off as comedy, it’s nice to see a show that at least tries to be funny with its own circumstances and plotlines. Maybe it’s not quite on the mark, but there are certainly worse shows on cable T.V. at any given moment.

The DVD’s so-called extras are only basic standards like behind-the-scenes footage and outtakes; all in all, it’s not exactly a boonto anyone’s personal collection.

That said, Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire is the equivalent of affordable light beer: easy to consume, generally tolerable and a good backup for when there’s nothing better. Maybe the show will grow better with age. And if not … well, it’s certainly not hurting anyone.