The Bunnies of the Pac-10

Walking around USC you might not expect to find a room full of female Trojans in various states of undress. But Saturday at the Radisson Hotel, student hopefuls posed for world famous centerfold photographer Arny Freytag and Playboy representative Eden Orfanos for a chance to one day add “Bunny” to their résumés.

As part of their “Girls of the Pac-10” issue, which has been a tradition since 1976, Playboy scoured the West coast searching for — according to the press release — “the sexiest, most beautiful women of the Pacific-10 Conference.” Playboy holds auditions at each school and, starting this year, meets the women in person to set up their “illustrious annual college girls pictorial.” Of course, this includes USC.

“Last year, we didn’t go to the schools — we just had girls send in their pictures,” Orfanos said.

Having the women send in topless photos, however, created an explosion of applicants, and this year’s decision to travel to the campuses and meet potential models was based on practicality.

For many of the young women who pose for Playboy, it is their first time modeling and having guidance helps.

“It’s my duty to work through and teach the girls,” Freytag explained.

So why would a USC student try out for Playboy in the first place? Posing nude for a male magazine seems like a slippery slope. Men justify looking at Playboy by saying they “only read the articles” and women put down the “perfect” body type that Playboy proliferates.

But undeclared freshman Sarah Hoffman sees trying out for a spot in the magazine as more of a personal choice than anything else.

“I did it to complete my metamorphosis into a self-confident woman,” she said.

She said part of the challenge for her was not letting other people dissuade her. But when it came to the opinions of her parents, things were a little trickier.

Unlike the regular-issue Playboy models, Hoffman — and the other young women who arrived at the auditions — are still students.

“If I was really intent on doing it, then they would support me,” Hoffman said.

Orfanos said that Playboy has been a magazine where young women can get a toe-hold in the modeling industry, and it’s an opportunity for them to become entrepreneurs in their own lives.

Much like Hoffman, who said she does auditions “all the time,” Orfanos reiterated that women who come to Playboy often go on to be models or actresses.

Playboy can act as a springboard for girls,” Orfanos said, suggesting the magazine can empower them. “Women come to us.”

Playboy has long been a place where any woman can come and make her own name. In fact, the idea that any woman can get recognition in a national magazine — as opposed to only celebrities — is a pillar that the magazine is built on.

If the intent of the publication is to showcase women, it’s no surprise, then, that Playboy has tapped the co-ed population.

“It’s the girl next door [idea],” Fretyag said. “That’s the philosophy the magazine started with. She’s someone you know from home. Every guy thinks they can meet that girl.”

Although Playboy does showcase famous actresses and models, it is known as a magazine filled with girls who aren’t celebrities.

“Hugh Hefner started by shooting his own secretary,” Freytag said of the Playboy founder and chief creative officer of Playboy Enterprises’ initial forays into the world of publishing. “That’s what jumpstarted the magazine.”

Playboy’s Pac-10 romp to recruit college women could be interpreted as unabashedly exploitative, with Playboy taking advantage of the young women of USC to sell magazines. Conversely, some might see the magazine’s decision to recruit from universities as refreshing, because the magazine wants to show off smart, college-educated women as objects of male desire.

While there’s definitely a thin line between what is considered pornography versus what is art, Orfanos thinks that sexuality can be depicted through beautiful photographs and that much of what Playboy shows is art.

The fact that the Pac-10 issues began during the height of the ‘70s feminist movement isn’t just coincidence, he said.

“Hefner knew that guys wanted girls with brains,” Freytag said. “That’s when they started the college girls issue.”

Whichever way one chooses to look at it, there is no doubt that Playboy is a business-savvy magazine that knows who its consumers are.

Whether it plays to the desire for smart women, girls next door or someone who is just drop-dead sexy, Playboy is in tune with what men want — and it embodies the cliché marketing phrase “sex sells,” which has driven the magazine’s success and made it so taboo.

1. Meghan
    Meghan says:

Christy Hefner left Playboy in ’09, to go on to do ‘more meaningful’ things. And Playboy is in trouble, closing down it’s N.Y. offices…did she jump ship before it gets worse?
    Rumor has it that her husband, an Illinois real estate investor/ lawyer and former Illinois politico, may have future political aspirations (they are both friends of Obama), and his wife, being CEO of Playboy, would not bode well for any future political career he may be interested in pursuing. .

2. suz
    suz says:

The woman running the company is Hugh Heffner’s daughter.. He hired her, upon her request, to run the company after she graduated, a business major. Probably to make up for his horribly negligent job of fathering (too busy with his multiple bunny partners?), and barely seeing her throughout her childhood. Doubt if many other smart business women would be that nterested in his company. Doubt if he would have hired his daughter to pose nude in his centerfolds..or maybe he would…..since she has a college degree..

• Thomas
      Thomas says:

Why do you specualte in other people’s family life, and judge, based more on your own prejudice towards the company rather than any acutal facts?

3. Thomas
    Thomas says:

I dont understand why its “disgusting” that men “drool” over women in playboy. Or how it would be disgusting if men drooled over you. You dont want men to find you attractive? And seriously, by going after college girls, I dont think Playboy shows that it is somehow more sophisticated, but it attracts more college readers. Men like women. Men like to look at beautiful women. Women are not objects, women are women and we love them for it :)

4. meghan
    meghan says:

In defense of this writer..who is not responsible for Playboy coming to USC… as gross as that may be to some..and yet others feel it is just all a-o-k for college girls to pose nude and have the freedom to do whatever they want..no matter the possible repercussions for them in their futures, making such stupid choices now….but, hey, it is THEIR lives…….Obviously, from the comments here there is a broad range of differing opinions…But I don’t think it was the writer’s job to take sides about The Playboy casting event. I did not feel it was P.R for Playboy at all..rather quite neutral and that was good. . Was it supposed to be investigative journalism ? In the Lifestyle section? If readers want a more biased, opinionated article then look for that in the Opinion Section of a newspaper. Maybe write that yourself….like why would USC allow them anywhere near their campus??

5. meghan
    meghan says:

The article succeeds in remaining neutral, not condoning or criticizing this “event”.
    As far as SAFETY issues…I wish USC would not allow Playboy anywhere near campus..do this in their own offices far away from college campuses..in a hotel?? I don’t know if I buy the ‘ploy’ of coming TO or near campus due to receiving SO many pictures through the mail, and this was to narrow it down, to simplify it… Sounds more like they set up in a hotel near campus to get MORE girls, like the ones who may not have had the time to have pictures taken and send them in, can just show up to a ‘cattle call’ disrobe, let this guy ‘teach them’ to pose nude (ugh!)..take pictures and ‘audition’ that way.. USC should be on top of this kind of thing. At least send out some kind of warnings for the safety of the students.The Radisson is still close enough to campus for them to do that…..You NEVER go to a hotel for an audition..and this one, where it was probably a ‘cattle call’, the ‘auditioners’ were probably not submitted by agents or managers, who would have done the work leading up to the audition, knowing the people there, the legitimacy, etc. and even then many times agents will not allow potential employers to interview/audition their clients in a HOTEL… ..And this involved nudity?? And then this guy, this STRANGER, is going to ‘teach’ them how to pose nude? Girls are you kidding me?? You dont go to a hotel for any audition unless your agent or manager knows everything there is to know about it, the people, the circumstances, etc. and even then it is risky. So having these girls go to a hotel to disrobe and pose nude, instead of Playboy offices sounds weird and risky..
    And ofcourse Heffner wants educated women for his rag..and ofcourse he would seek out college girls at the height of the feminist movement..to show that no matter how educated or how far women may have come, they
    are still nothing but sexual objects to be used and exploited for male readers to drool over .. That his rag is not just filled with Bimbos who have nothing else in their sad lives, no futures of any importance at all, except boobs and bodies and stupidly see this as their ticket out of their sad and dreary lives. And to them this is their biggest dream come true, because they have nothing else and know nothing else. By going after college educated women Heffner adds respect and clout to his magazine, the girls are not ALL dumb.
    And there are much better ways to get into modeling and/or acting. This is L.A…get headshots, get an agent and audition for more respected legitimate work. This is the lowest level of the business. There may be alot of money involved but no one will take you seriously and this will follow you for the rest of your life. It is a very tough image to shed.
    USC students might be in a position to RUN a company like Playboy, but don’t allow yourselves to be sexually exploited by it.

6. j
    j says:

It’s sickening to think that such a high caliber university as ours still has girls who are willing to sell their bodies. USC should expel each girl that participates in this disgusting and exploitative act.

• unknown_trojan
      unknown_trojan says:

No University can control what its students do. Posing nude for playboy isn’t illegal. But they are taking a huge risk.

• dfgdfg
      dfgdfg says:

J: You must think it is really weird: almost as if people had their own free will and were allowed to do what they want to do with themselves. Or as if there existed a document called, I dont know maybe, a “constitution” saying that all people are “born free” to express this really crazy idea that people can do what they want with their lives. Its really weird, dont you think?

7. HA HA
    HA HA says:

And being in Playboy won’t make you a self-confident woman. It will plague you for the rest of your life when you try to get jobs. Simple Google searches will bring you up.

This article was so poorly written anyway. It was more of a PR piece for Playboy than a real investigative piece of journalism. I would have talked to the girls that tried out way more than talking about the Playboy empire. Most people know that history already.

• yeah
      yeah says:

I agree. It really isn’t too hard to imagine why Playboy would want to come to USC to find models to pose for them. The real question is why some people spend 200k on an education when all they really want to do is use Playboy as a “springboard” toward a career in modeling/acting. That’s the one I hoped this article would answer. I can imagine that it might have been difficult to get girls to comment in the school newspaper about why they were auditioning for Playboy, but then that’s also a huge question to address, which it wasn’t.

8. S
    S says:

Being in Playboy does not make someone a “Bunny.” Bunnies are the girls who worked at the clubs, when teh original clubs closed they were playmates who did special promotional work. Now that there is again a club, it is staffed by Bunnies. Please know the difference.