Weekend Picks

thursday, april 15
Ann Gallagher
7 p.m. > Hammer Museum > FREE

In conjunction with the Rachel Whiteread “Drawings” exhibition, Ann Gallagher, the head of collections at the Tate London, will share her expertise Thursday at the Hammer. She will talk about today’s art and why it’s so different, so appealing and so worthy of investment.

From Nietzche To Star Wars: The Wagnerian Power of “The Ring”
7 p.m. > MOCA > FREE

In celebration of the L.A. Opera’s Ring Festival LA, experts in the fields of literature, philosophy, psychology and popular culture come together to discuss the themes and symbols of “The Ring” that are so prevalent in the 20th century.

Taylor Swift
8 p.m. > Staples Center > $45+

Country teeny-bopper favorite Taylor Swift will be performing live originals and best hits at the Staples Center.

friday, april 16
Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
8 p.m. > Mark Taper Forum > $20

Written by Rajiv Joseph and directed by Tony Award nominee Moises Kaufman, this play brings together unlikely characters such as the ghost of Saddam Hussein’s son and a recently murdered Bengal tiger.

DreamWorlds
6 p.m. > Art Center College of Design > FREE

Through this phenomenal combination of artistry and animation, the drawings, models, posters and finally digitalized creations of animated film favorites such as Shrek and Madagascar are discussed.

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
8:15 p.m. > Gibson Amphitheater > $100+

Though they haven’t had a Hot 100 chart-climber since 1997’s “If I Could Teach the World,” Bone Thugs-N-Harmony will definitely make this night of old school rap under the stars worthwhile.

saturday, april 17
Jeff Beck
8 p.m. > Nokia Theatre > $60+

Jeff Beck arrives in Los Angeles behind Emotion & Commotion, his first solo album since 2003, on which the guitarist tackles songs such as Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ “I Put a Spell on You.” A 22-piece orchestra will serve as his backing band.

11th Annual Topanga Earth Day
10 a.m. – 6 p.m. > Topanga Community House > Donation

The day starts with a traditional yoga session and continues with music, a healing village, ecological vendors and guest speakers discussing sustainable and holistic living solutions.

Record Store Day
all day > Ameoba Records > FREE

Ameoba Records goes all out on Record Store Day, with a full schedule of in-store performances and free goodies including a limited-edition Smashing Pumpkins poster and t-shirt silk screenings.

sunday, april 18
The Last Chapbook Project
1 p.m. > The Last Bookstore > FREE

A “chapbook” is a self-produced mini-volume of original poetry and short prose. Curated by local creative figure Chiwan Choi and featuring local Los Angeles writers, the bookstore presents this rotating shelf of books at an easily affordable price.

Family Flicks: Time Bandits
11 a.m. > Hammer Museum > FREE

Though this screening of Terry Gilliam’s 1981 film is part of the museum’s Hammer Kids program, the on-stage chemistry of John Cleese, Sean Connery and Shelley Duvall is sure to be fun for all.

Anne Martens: Club Med
6 p.m. > Underground Gallery > FREE

Until April 24, Anne Marten showcases her fashion creations that she calls “ER couture.”

—Tanvi Mirani and Becca Lett