Rutgers University apologizes for tampering claim

The USC basketball team might have escaped another potentially damaging situation — Rutgers Athletic Director Tim Pernetti apologized to USC basketball coach Kevin O’ Neill after accusing USC of tampering, according to ESPN’s Andy Katz. Katz released the information on his Twitter page.

The claim was in regard to Rutgers guard Mike Rosario, who asked to be released from the team so he could transfer. Rutgers claimed if they accepted Rosario’s request, he would not be permitted to attend USC.

Rosario, who led the Scarlet Knights in scoring over the past two seasons, does have ties to the Trojan basketball team. Jio Fontan, who transferred from Fordham to play basketball at USC, went to high school with Rosario. However, Katz reported that USC was never planning on trying to land Rosario.

Rutgers is in a time of transition, as ESPN’s Andy Katz reported current Rutgers coach Fred Hill was offered a buyout last week.

Rutgers never specified exactly what USC did to prompt the tampering claims.

This was not the first time the USC basketball program had to deal with serious accusations. In January, the team imposed sanctions that prevented the team from participating in both the Pac-10 and NCAA tournaments this past season. This punishment stemmed from claims that former player O.J. Mayo received improper gifts and benefits.