Weekend Picks

thursday, april 29
Rogue Wave
8 p.m. > El Rey Theatre > $26.50

Zach Rogue, an Oakland, Calif., native, leads the indie-pop band Rogue Wave with his vocals and guitar playing. The band has performed on soundtracks for Napoleon Dynamite and Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist and is sure to captivate both devoted fans and new listeners live.

Tarot Card exhibit
11 a.m. – 7 p.m. > Craft and Folk Art Museum > $3

Curated by renowned artist and tarot card expert Robert M. Place, “The Fool’s Journey: The History & Symbolism of The Tarot” includes illuminating information on 22 cards including historical documents and accompanying art that explore the mystical deck as a space for self expression.

friday, april 30
Chelsea Handler
8:15 p.m. > Gibson Amphitheatre > $45+

Handler is on her book tour for Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, ranked second on this week’s The New York Times best-seller list. Her book tour resembles a stand-up comedy show, and anyone who loves her hilarious book won’t want to miss out on hearing her comedic voice live.

Too $hort, G Man and J Mo
8 p.m. > Key Club > $25

Though he’s been a stalwart in the hip hop scene since the early 1980s, 43-year-old Oakland rapper Too $hort still uses the profanity and language he used when he began performing two decades ago. He performs on the Sunset Strip with local rappers G Man and J Mo.

saturday, may 1
Korean Music Festival
6:30 p.m. > Hollywood Bowl > $100+

The ladies of group Kara — who became regionally famous in 2009 for their “butt dance” — headline the eighth annual event which also features performances from 11 other Korean acts that demonstrate both traditional and popular music from the Asian nation.

Free Comic Book Day
10 a.m. – 4 p.m. > Golden Apple Comics > FREE

Each year, on the first Saturday of May, comic book stores nationwide give away free books to anyone who comes through. No strings attached and no purchase necessary. To celebrate, Golden Apple is hosting a day of appearances and signings from some of the industry’s top cartoonists, writers and illustrators.

sunday, may 2
Lupe Fiasco with B.o.B.
6 p.m. > House of Blues Sunset Strip > $40

Still awaiting a release date for his new album Lasers, Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco comes to Los Angeles with his “Steppin’ Lasers” tour. Show up early for Atlanta-based B.o.B., whose “Nothin’ on You” was a No. 1 song earlier this year and whose debut album dropped this week.

Carol Leifer
2 p.m. > Skirball Cultural Center > $5

Carol Leifer will read and sign copies of her book, When You Lie About Your Age, The Terrorists Win. Discovered by David Letterman in the 1980s, Leifer is a comedian, writer, producer and actress who speaks out on LGBT and women’s issues.
—Becca Lett