Schnur tapped for FPPC

Dan Schnur, director of the USC Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics, has been appointed as chair of the California Fair Political Practices Commission, the governor’s office announced Tuesday.

Politico · Dan Schnur, who has worked on a variety of political campaigns and is currently an associate professor in the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences, has been the director of the Unruh Institute for two years. - Daily Trojan File Photo

Schnur, who is also an assistant professor at USC, will take a leave of absence from his position at the university while he is chair of the FPPC, which promotes transparency and enforces fair practices in California politics and elections.

“Equality, transparency and honesty in our political process are essential to the success of this state and I look forward to continuing the reform that the people of California demanded,” Schnur said in the press release sent out by the governor’s office.

His term on the FPPC will last until January 2011, when he will be up for reappointment.

The appointment by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger comes after former FPPC chair Ross Johnson stepped down in April.

“Schnur has spent years teaching and advocating for equality and transparency in California politics and I am grateful that he will continue his service to our state in this new role,” Schwarzenegger said in the press release.

Schnur has been director of the Unruh Institute since 2008 and a professor at USC since 2004. He has been a key player in expanding the influence of the institute and the student opportunities, according to the USC College of Letters, Arts and Sciences.

He has worked on presidential and gubernatorial elections, and one of his main objectives as FPPC chair will be to work to ensure fair practices during the upcoming California state elections in November.