Space cowboy, gangster of love … professor?

Famed rock star Steve Miller will serve as an artist in residence at the USC Thornton School of Music, teaching master classes and seminars for undergraduates on topics such as guitar instruction and the music industry.

Miller, who was the front man and guitarist of the Steve Miller Band, has worked with Thornton before as a guest speaker and guest artist, according to the New York Times.

He had also served as a consultant during the creation of the school’s current popular music performance program, which now enrolls 55 students. He will serve as an expert on pop music during his time at USC.

“Every time he comes into contact with students, he just comes away energized and wants to work with them on more of a sustained basis,” Chris Sampson, associate dean of the Thornton School, said to the Times.

Though he has no set schedule for his appearances at USC, Miller has agreed to stay an extra day in Los Angeles every time he visits the city. This day will be set aside for sessions at Thornton.

Sampson said Miller will be on campus at least twice a semester.

“Clearly, Steve cares deeply about the next generation of musicians and wants to be a part of their growth. His willingness to share his incredible experience with our students will undoubtedly transform their experience,” Sampson told American Songwriter.

Other artists in residence at USC include Grammy Award-winning musician and music director Patrice Rushen and songwriter Lamont Dozier.