Annenberg student Katherine Schwarzenegger writes book about body image issues

Today marks the release of USC student Katherine Schwarzenegger’s first book, Rock What You’ve Got: Secrets to Loving Your Inner and Outer Beauty. The oldest daughter of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and a junior majoring in communication at the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, Schwarzenegger said she felt the issue of body image was in great need of being addressed, especially after hearing girls of so many different ages worrying about their weight.

Schwarzenegger — a former intern for the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty — uses expert interviews, research and statistics in her book, which she said she hoped would provide girls a new perspective on some of the societal pressures they face.

“I never thought I would write a book,” she said in an interview with PR-Canada.net. “But my fuel came from research and information on the growing number of girls who feel so much pressure to be thin — and how young all of this is starting. My goal is to let girls know they’re not alone when they’re going through this and to spread the word about what young girls are going through today.”

“You don’t have to look like you’re on a billboard to feel beautiful,” she said. “I really wanted to correct girls’ perception of that.”