USC Football Continues to Drop in AP Poll

In light of this year’s sanctions, many college football fans haven’t expected much from USC’s traditionally stellar football team.

However, many Trojans harbored hopes of eventually attaining a long shot #1 spot in the Associated Press polls as a way showing the nation that USC is still one of the best.

Starting the season ranked #14, Trojans hoped early wins could lead to better positioning.

Unfortunately, this seems less and less likely with every win.

After defeating Hawaii 49-36 in a much more decisive game than the score reflects, USC dropped from #14 to #16. Beating Virginia and Minnesota 17-14 and 32-21 respectively had a similar effect – USC dropped 2 spots after each game, finally landing at #20.

Other top-25 teams in similar situations have not seen similar drops. No. 9 Florida has won three unconvincing games, yet maintains high ranks in the poll. No. 11 Wisconsin (3-0) had occasional struggles against San Jose State and nearly lost to Arizona State — both unranked teams.

Voters attribute USC’s drops to various factors. AP voter and Boston Herald writer Steve Conroy, who dropped the Trojans from #6 to #19, blames it on recent games.

“Because of the sanctions, the Trojans were a huge question mark coming into the season, but I decided to trust the talent pool and put them at No. 6,” Conroy said. “The Hawaii game was an eyebrow-raiser and the Virginia game was a red flag, so I dropped them.”

Despite the discouraging poll results, head coach Lane Kiffin has kept a positive attitude: “If we keep winning and we keep going down, that’s fine. Our goal is to win games, not to impress pollsters or cover spreads.”