L.A. city begins repaving The Row’s street

Repavement on The Row began Monday morning in order to make 28th Street safer and more aesthetically pleasing, said Logan Lachman, an Undergraduate Student Government Greek senator who worked with the City of Los Angeles to initiate construction.

Pave the way · It will take about four weeks to repave 28th Street, according to Undergraduate Student Government officials. - Nathaniel Gonzales | Daily Trojan

“The Row was really bad — there were a bunch of potholes,” Lachman said. “To have that many potholes, people were tripping and falling.”

Construction workers, funded by the city, will repave 28th Street between Hoover and Figueroa streets and then will begin reconstructing the sidewalks if time permits, Lachman said. The process is scheduled to take four weeks.

Crews will be working from 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, during which time cars cannot be parked on the section of the road where workers are repaving.

Some students who often travel on The Row agreed that the rough road needed improvement.

“I know people were agreeing that [the road] was just kind of obnoxious,” said Lindsey Howie, a senior majoring in communication. “I think it will just make things a lot easier just with parking, biking and walking on The Row.”

Howie said, however, that she wished an e-mail or some form of communication was sent out to notify residents on The Row of the construction.

“They probably should have communicated it a little better and let people know that they are going to be shutting part of The Row down,” Howie said.

Lachman said repaving the road was for safety concerns as well as aesthetic reasons.

USG has attempted to improve The Row for years, Lachman said, though past senators have not been successful.  USG made a push last year to completely close The Row off to vehicle traffic, but that did not come to fruition.

“This has been around for a few years,” Lachman said.

Yet, some students said they believe the sidewalks on The Row need more immediate attention than the road.

“I do think that it’s good that they’re paving,” said Stacy Jones, a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering. “[But] the sidewalks were a bigger issue than the streets and the potholes … Girls talk about the sidewalks as they go out to The Row, they don’t want to trip.”

1. Really?
    Really? says:

This is an overall good article and I guess if you live on the row it’s important to know that this is going on, but was it really worth being on the front page of the Daily Trojan? I didn’t think the elimination of potholes was considered breaking news. I’m sure the girls mentioned in the article are in a complete panic at the thought of tripping as they walk down the street, but to anyone else, I didn’t think this warranted too much attention.

2. Bobby Moore
    Bobby Moore says:

Haha I like the quote “though past senators have not been successful”.

Progress: no the row doesn’t get repaved every summer. I don’t know how long it has been but I’m guessing a decade or more since the row was done.

Dan: Thats why it was so frustrating when 2 years ago they repaved hoover, university, severance, portland – basically every street BUT the row. Some people speculated it was intentional…

3. David
    David says:

It’s been quite awhile since the street was repaved. Due to City budget cutbacks and service reductions, the cycle to repave streets can literally be counted in decades. This process was expedited thanks to a letter submitted by the presidents of the Interfraternity Parents Council (IFPC) last year to Bernard Parks, who represents the area on the City Council.

4. Dan
    Dan says:

They definitely do not repave the row every summer. It’s on the same schedule as any other LA side street with it’s level of traffic. The Row receives no special treatment from the city nor should it.

5. progress
    progress says:

Is this really news? Don’t they repave the row every summer?
    How about some real progress, like turning it into a cul-de-sac and cutting out the unnecessary and congesting local traffic?