Students struggling to find classes at community colleges

Students at California community colleges are facing significant problems as they try to register for classes for the upcoming school year, according to the Los Angeles Times.

This comes as a result of recent budget cuts, as well as rising enrollment numbers caused by the largest high school graduating class in the history of the state of California.

Many students are being placed on the wait list for some or all of their classes, and are consequently having to wait longer to obtain a degree or look for a job.

One temporary solution that some students are utilizing is taking classes at different community colleges in the Los Angeles area, in order to reach the 12 units need for full-time student status.

Last year, the community college system cut 8 percent of its overall budget, equal to approximately $520 million. As a result, many schools are lowering class sizes or cutting classes all together, leaving students who are looking to complete their degree requirements with little options.

“I want to be successful, but I don’t know if I’m going to be able to reach my goals,” Kiyan Noyes-Aponte, a mechanical engineering major at Orange Coast College, told the Los Angeles Times. “I was scared and stressed. I was literally desperate for classes.”