USC students create Bike Ban Facebook event

USC Bike Ban Civil Disobedience was created as a Facebook event last week, and at the time of press approximately 2,300 students have replied that they are attending the event, with more than 750 saying they might attend.

The page said it intends to gather students to ride through Trousdale Parkway at 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, in the midst of the 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. bike ban that extends through parts of campus.

The creator of the event declined to comment to the Daily Trojan, but said it was a grassroots movement and it expressed a larger desire of USC students to protest the campus bike ban.

The event information says, “Little by little, USC has chipped away at biking on campus. What started off as a ban in front of the bookstore a few short years ago now extends through the main passages of campus. Now they are removing bike racks to discourage people from riding. If we don’t stand up to them now, pretty soon USC will ban bikes altogether. How then are we supposed to roll out of bed ten minutes before class and make it on time?”

Though there has been discussion of changing USC bicycle policies by students and administrators, no policies have been changed. Bikes are only prohibited on campus in certain areas from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Many students have posted on the event’s wall, both those who are in favor of the ban and those who are against it.

The event’s information also urges students not to take the protest too seriously, linking to a YouTube video of Europe’s “The Final Countdown.”