Angelenos walk for suicide awareness

About 1,000 people participated in the Out of the Darkness walk, held this past Saturday, to benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Starting at Santa Monica City Hall, the walk seeks to raise awareness for what is often considered an extremely taboo subject.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention began the walks in 2004, which now take place annually in the fall in more than 220 cities across the United States. It is free to participate, but the foundation asks for any possible donations. The foundation is hoping to raise $5 million for both local and national programs that specialize in not only suicide prevention and education, but also survivor loss.

Booths were also set up around the event in order to provide pamphlets on mental health, support groups and suicide hotlines.

Many feel the event is an opportunity to both celebrate the life’s of those who have committed suicide, and find support in others who have shared similar experiences.

“Only those who have lost someone by suicide understand how painful it is,” Marci Seals told the Los Angeles Times. Seals’ 19-year-old daughter committed suicide two years ago.

“You’re here with people who are experiencing the same type of loss you are. To see people going on with their lives gives me hope,” she said.