Live blog: California statewide election results

Check in with the Daily Trojan tonight as we update you on the latest results from today’s statewide elections as they become available.  Results will be refreshed every 15 minutes.

8 p.m.: Polls are now closed in California, and early results should start coming in soon.

On campus, we’ve heard of some troubles at a few polling stations, primarily Marks Tower. Like in past elections, it seems as though students who were registered had to vote by provisional ballot anyway. We’ll keep you posted on those developments as we learn more.

On the national scene, several major media outlets are projecting that Republicans will win the House of Representatives, as Republicans have picked up several key seats in races across the country.

We’ll be updating every 15 minutes with the latest poll results, and as soon as winners are declared.

8:10 p.m.: Fifteen minutes might have been a bit ambitious. Several outlets are projecting Democrats Jerry Brown and Barbara Boxer to win the gubernatorial and senatorial seats, respectively. The Los Angeles Times, Fox News and Reuters have all jumped on board.

8:18 p.m. Returns are trickling in for candidates across the state, but nothing on the propositions yet. The Los Angeles Times has a good compilation of state results for California races and so does CNN if you want to see the numbers for all of the races.

8:30 p.m. Though no decisions have been finalized, per the L.A. Times, as of this time, Proposition 19 is failing, 57 percent to 43 percent (161,765 votes to 121,523). Two percent of precincts have returned results. Proposition 23 is also failing, 57 percent to 43 percent (113,429 votes to 84,192). One percent of precincts are reporting.

8:45 p.m. In other races across the state:

Democrat Gavin Newsom is leading the lieutenant governor’s race over Republican Abel Maldonado by 3 percent with 10 percent of precincts reporting, 596,407 votes to 559,571.

Democrat Debra Bowen is leading Republican Damon Dunn in the secretary of state race, 51 to 41 percent, with 10 percent of precincts voting. 639,064 votes to 512,760.

Republican Steve Cooley is leading Democrat Kamala Harris in the attorney general’s race, 50 percent to 41 percent, with 8 percent of precincts reporting. 462,028 votes to 384,102.

8:53 p.m. The Los Angeles Times is reporting that exit polls indicate Proposition 19, the ballot measure that would have legalized marijuana for those over the age of 21, will not pass.

9:04 p.m. Though it’s still up in the air, CNN is projecting that the Democrats will retain control of the Senate, despite the five seats the Republicans have already gained.

9:09 p.m. Sen. Robert Menendez, chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, just released the following statement congratulating Boxer on a win:

“Congratulations to Senator Barbara Boxer on a well earned victory tonight.  Despite the millions of dollars national Republicans sunk into this race, Senator Boxer’s tenacity and hard-work carried the day once again.  Senator Boxer’s victory tonight is not only a victory for California’s middle-class families, but Democrats and progressives around the country, who have a true fighter in California’s junior Senator.  I look forward to working with Senator Boxer for years to come, as we continue to fight for the values we as a party hold so dear.”

9:17 p.m. The L.A. Times has projected the same thing as CNN — that the Republicans will take the House, but the Democrats will maintain control of the Senate.

1. BigBen
    BigBen says:

Yeah, howard, the title “California statewide election results” gives no clue that this blog is “California centric”.

• RW
      RW says:

See the Attorney General race. What a dumb comment… were they supposed to make up results in the top races so that it appeared more Republicans had won? You’ve been watching too much Faux news…

• howard
        howard says:

Not everyone who finds this page via Google will realize that this page is California centric. Maybe instead of assuming that the other guy is an idiot, you can point out that the Daily Trojan is hosted by the University of Southern California and is reporting the Democratic wins in California.

But I suppose it’s more gratifying to be anonymously derogatory.