Propositions faced battles Tuesday

Propositions 20, 22, 25 and 26 passed and propositions 19, 21, 23, 24 and 27 failed in the California General Election Tuesday.

Prop 19, which would have legalized the use of marijuana for those over age 21, was one of the most closely-followed propositions. It was defeated by 7.8 percent margin, with 46.1 percent of voters supporting and 53.9 percent opposing.

Many students with the California Public Interest Research Group campaigned against Prop 23, which was defeated by a large margin — 61.2 percent of voters opposed and 38.8 percent supported it.

CalPIRG collected 100,000 pledges on college campuses for people to vote no on the proposition that would have repealed A.B. 32, which has measures to protect the environment.

CalPIRG also publicly opposed Prop 26, which did pass, and will require a 2/3 legislative vote to raise fees. This could empower the Republican minority to prevent fees, which are taxes levied for a specific purpose, from being imposed on the commodities that typically encounter them, usually alcohol, tobacco and gas.

Proposition 22’s passage will also make balancing a budget more difficult, as it prohibits the state from taking local funds.

This will have an effect of privileging regions whose residents have higher incomes. It was passed by a 22 percent margin, with 61 percent voting yes and 39 percent voting no.

However, Prop 25 passed, so the legislature needs a simple majority, rather than a 2/3 majority, to pass a budget. The Democratic majority in the legislature will be able to enact its policies without reliance on compromise with the Republican minority.

Many hope this will also shorten the long period that it takes for Sacramento to pass the budget, which was 100 days overdue this year.

Propositions 20 and 27, which both dealt with the way redistricting occurs, resulted in a committee being formed to redistrict.

Proposition 20 passed by a 22.4 percent margin and Proposition 27 failing by an 18.8 percent margin. This is will prevent elected state officials from gerrymandering, redistricting to ensure reelection for themselves or their party.

Lastly, Proposition 21 failed by a 16.2 percent margin, which will mean difficulties for state park funding in the future. The proposition’s passage would have added a $18 vehicle license surcharge to fund state parks, which have had severe funding problems since the recession began.