Vigil held Tuesday for student injured in fall

The Sigma Nu fraternity held a vigil Tuesday night for student Jackson Roddy, the freshman who fell from the sixth floor of Birnkrant Residential College early Monday morning.

The vigil brought more than 100 students together in prayer to show support for Roddy, who is at California Hospital in critical condition with severe injuries.

Police are still investigating the cause of the fall, according to Department of Public Safety Capt. David Carlisle.

Brian Huefner, president of Sigma Nu, the fraternity Roddy is pledging, said Roddy was awake for short periods of time Tuesday.

“We’re taking it one surgery at a time, one day at a time,” Huefner said. “It’s a blessing that he has everyone here for him.”

According to Huefner, it will take one to two weeks before Roddy will be fully awake and possibly accept visitors.

John Lee, a freshman majoring in biological sciences, attended the vigil on Tuesday.

“It was pretty emotional. I’ve hung out with him quite a bit. He’s a good kid,” Lee said.

Others said the vigil has a powerful message.

“I thought it was a beautiful thing where everyone on The Row could lend support and prayer, and unite as one to wish for his healing,” said Amanda Borland, a freshman majoring in business administration.

President C.L. Max Nikias visited Roddy on Tuesday and met with the family, according to Vice President for Student Affairs Michael L. Jackson.

“His family is very appreciative of all the support they are receiving from the university,” Jackson said in an e-mail.

Roddy’s pledge brothers decided to create a “24/7 prayer.” People are invited to sign up for 15-minute time slots to ensure that someone is always praying for and thinking of Roddy.

“As long as he’s doing OK, I’m doing OK,” said Colby Audette, Roddy’s pledge brother. “Constant prayer can’t hurt; it’ll only help.”

A Facebook page, “Prayers for Jackson Roddy,” was also created in support for Roddy on Tuesday.

“The fact that he survived the fall is a miracle. Adding to the miraculous is he appears to have no head trauma or neck injury,” a post on the page said. “The outpouring of support has been amazing. Don’t take our reluctance to talk as a lack of appreciation. We just have a lot to process … keep those prayers coming.”

Students seeking counseling or support can contact Student Affairs at (213) 740-2421 or the USC Student Counseling Services at (213) 740-7711.