Arizona field goal call reversed

After reviewing video footage of the team’s 24-21 loss to USC last Saturday, Arizona Wildcats officials changed Arizona kicker Alex Zendejas’ missed field goal to a blocked kick.

The reviewed 34-yard field goal attempt came in the first quarter and was Arizona’s first and only chance in the game to take the lead against the Trojans.

According to officials, the kick was deflected by USC redshirt junior Michael Reardon at the line of scrimmage, and though the ball still managed to reach the uprights, officials say the tip changed the course of the kick.

NCAA rules define a blocked kick as “touching the ball by an opponent of the kicking team in an attempt to prevent the ball from advancing beyond the neutral zone.”

After the missed Arizona field goal, USC managed to build a 14-0 first quarter lead and didn’t let go for the rest of the game. The the Wildcats managed to cut the margin down to just three points with a minute to go in the game, their special teams failed to recover the ensuing onside kick.

The No. 23 Wildcats are off with a bye this week, but will finish the season with two huge games against top-ranked Oregon on Nov. 26 and state rival Arizona State on Dec. 2.

No. 20 USC will head to Corvallis, Oregon this Saturday to take on the Oregon State Beavers and will wrap up this year’s home schedule with a Battle for the Jeweled Shillelagh against longtime rival Notre Dame.